Turn signal lights dont blink

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2012 | 07:42 PM

Turn signal lights dont blink

when i use turn signal, sometimes they blink once or twice then stop blinking. emergency lights blink perfectly. i replaced the flasher but no difference. checked every single light bulb, even replaced them bcuz new ones were brighter. any assistance would be awesome.
Old September 28th, 2012 | 08:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, dumb question but do you realize your car has 2 flashers? 1 is on the fuse box, the other is up under the dash by the steering column. It really sounds like your turn indicator flasher is shot. Looks like you have a 71 Cutlass in your avatar.
Old September 29th, 2012 | 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ok, dumb question but do you realize your car has 2 flashers? 1 is on the fuse box, the other is up under the dash by the steering column.
And just to clarify, the flasher on the fuse box that's easy to replace is the one for the emergency flashers. The turn signal flasher is the one that's hidden on a harness pigtail up under the dash next to the steering column. Go figure.
Old September 29th, 2012 | 07:44 AM

Allen,

Thanks for your response. Yes, have spent a good 30 minutes looking for that other flasher with no luck yet. btw, my avatar is that of the 71 442 i had a year ago. I sold that and now have a 71 cutlass s. I will continue to look for the flasher. thanks

Rafe
Old September 29th, 2012 | 08:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442NDTSS
Yes, have spent a good 30 minutes looking for that other flasher with no luck yet. btw, my avatar is that of the 71 442 i had a year ago. I sold that and now have a 71 cutlass s. I will continue to look for the flasher.
Rafe, here's a diagram that shows where it should be attached. If you have AC you might have to wiggle your hand in between the vent hoses to find it. Check the left side of the steering column behind the dash as shown on the bottom right side of pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
flasher pic.jpg (109.2 KB, 134 views)
Old September 30th, 2012 | 02:54 PM

Allan, thanks, i am going to use your diagram and look for it right now, will let you know. thanks again.
Old September 30th, 2012 | 03:54 PM

Allan, you are the man! i found it, replaced it, and it works. thanks again!!
Old September 30th, 2012 | 07:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glad to help. Fun learning about these old cars isn't it? Now you can help others who may have the same problems!
Old October 25th, 2012 | 10:22 AM

I have a 72 Olds Cutlass S and my drivers front turn (left front) signal doesn't work, thats the only one that does not work. The Hazard lights work fine and all other turn signals function fine. Would this also be the turn indicator flasher? or something else??? I checked all the bulbs and they are all in good condition. Same applies for the parking light on the left front, that also does not work. Thanks!
Old October 25th, 2012 | 10:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So the left front turnsignal lights up normally for both parking lights and for 4-way flashers, but not for the LH signal?

Sounds like a signal light switch problem to me.

- Eric
Old October 25th, 2012 | 12:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Brett
I have a 72 Olds Cutlass S and my drivers front turn (left front) signal doesn't work, thats the only one that does not work. The Hazard lights work fine and all other turn signals function fine. Would this also be the turn indicator flasher? or something else??? I checked all the bulbs and they are all in good condition. Same applies for the parking light on the left front, that also does not work. Thanks!
Brett, Welcome to C.O.
What Eric says makes the most sense from my perspective up to a point too.

One thing I would like clarified in your description. If I read it correctly you're saying it's only the left signal indicator on the dash AND the front left signal don't work? The rear left signal light and all 4 corners of the car blink with the hazard lights? That is a very strange combination of light problems.

A suggestion for you. You're new to the site and obviously found this thread that identified similar problems as you have. I suggest that you start your own thread in the future instead of tagging into an existing one. Reason being that you will get more responses and exposure to the problem that way.
If you go to the 'General Discussion' or 'Electrical' where this thread started you can also introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

Let us know if you find the problem. (you might also want to check the multi pin connector at the bottom of the steering column to make sure it's tight or doesn't have any corrosion on the pins)
Old October 25th, 2012 | 12:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks, Allan.

Just to be clear, the steering column plug is unlikely, because it is the only source of current to that bulb, so if it were bad, the bulb wouldn't flash at all.

In this case, since it does work with the flashers, but not with the signals, the switch seems like pretty much the only place the problem could be (provided I have understood the problem correctly).

- Eric