Turn signal flasher

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2023, 05:44 AM

Turn signal flasher

I installed a new turn signal flasher I purchased from Fusick. The indicators flash when activated however both indicators stay lit solid when off. they also will sometimes both flash at the same ttime on the dash but not on the lights. Has anyone experienced this. The car is a 1956 Olds. Should I just figure it is the junk from China.
Thanks,
Rick
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:40 AM

It could be, or it could be other things. Flashers are nothing special, unless you had to have the boxy original style.
Usually, if the indicators are on solid, you are missing the ground connection on a turn signal housing. It then pulls ground through the parking lights, which is enough to light the bulb but not enough to trigger the flasher. LEDs further complicate things because there isn't enough load to operate the flasher.
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:13 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I will check the ground. We will be in your neighborhood on Saturday for a car tour starting at Frey's Brewing Mt Airy. Put on by the Gettysburg region AACA. I live at the other end of Carroll Co In Manchester.
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
Thanks so much for your help. I will check the ground. We will be in your neighborhood on Saturday for a car tour starting at Frey's Brewing Mt Airy. Put on by the Gettysburg region AACA. I live at the other end of Carroll Co In Manchester.
I am probably 2 miles from Frey's. If you want to bring it by sometime, I can help you troubleshoot it; wiring is kind of my thing. Where else does the tour go? If you end up at Black Ankle Winery, yell.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by fleming442;1528439[/QUOTE
Usually, if the indicators are on solid, you are missing the ground connection on a turn signal housing. It then pulls ground through the parking lights, which is enough to light the bulb but not enough to trigger the flasher. LEDs further complicate things because there isn't enough load to operate the flasher.
That was REALLY well said. Kudos!
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That was REALLY well said. Kudos![/QUOTE]
Thanks! Not many folks know about that.
Old October 11th, 2023, 03:16 AM

When we leave Frey's, we go to the Strawbridge Shrine in New Windsor. Next stop is Flick's Pub in Taneytown. The residents at Lorien Assisted Living Center will get to view a parade. Then to Baugher's farm market in Westminster. Thanks for the offer If I can't sort it out I might seek some help from you.
Rick
Old December 15th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Iam still trying to troubleshoot the flasher issue. Signals work fine but the arrows flash when signals are off. Thinking the flasher from Fusick might be causing the issue because I read on another thread that the NAPA flasher NF550 causes this. I ordered a NOS flasher off ebay Tung Sol P273D. This flasher will light the turn signal but not flash and the arrows stay off when signals are not used. Could this flasher be bad? Or is this still a ground issue.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Rick
Old December 15th, 2023, 06:21 AM

Arrows flash when the turn signals are off sounds like the hazard lights are activated. That uses a separate flasher unit and switch.
Old December 15th, 2023, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. The car has no hazard lights. The arrows flash like it does.