"Technical Help Needed: Power Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Keeping the web page images is a great way to prove your case. It should also be date stamped by the computer, and should also have the site information you got it from on the printout.

Why do some people do this? Bait and switch? Or just they don't care..I guess it comes down to personal ethics. I can only speak for myself, but regardless if I sold 10 parts or 10,000 parts; I would make every effort to make sure my reputation stayed at 100%. A large seller can easily take a 22.00 hit to satisfy an unhappy customer. The very LEAST that should be happening here is a sincere apology from him, with a promise to follow up with your refund.

Word of mouth advertising goes a long way, and a lot faster than some people think. Not attending to business, or not answering the phone or email is NOT an excuse.

Years ago I also bought some 'junk' from a vendor on epay who claimed the product was next to NOS. It arrived beat to heck. I gave him a chance to make good. No replies to emails, so I did 2 things: filed a dispute to get my money back (and picture evidence before/after like you), and left him negative feedback. He tried to leave neg for me, but epay actually blocked him from doing that because I had proven my case so well.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Yes, that's true, referring to the time stamp issues. I have all that information. Regardless, this is only for $26.00 with shipping. How low will peope go. In reference to your Ebay issues, I'm aware of such things. Ebay is most vigilant in protecting the buyer. I tried to find this part on Ebay Motors, but it was not to be found.
Thanks Allan for your interest. I'm just annoyed, irritated, and somewhat angry. I've been searching for this part for over one week. Again, it took me one week just to acquire the number. Anyways, time to reflect and say good night. Keep the faith, everything else means nothing.
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by synoptic12
Ebay is most vigilant in protecting the buyer. .
When I bought my crappy part, they were all for the seller. I got screwed again. I really started avoiding ebay then ditched it totally when they changed payment policies.

Oh well - hope you find your part!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM

Question

Originally Posted by synoptic12
Here are a couple of pics "advertising". The images were removed after purchasing, as well as the part number (20114087). Knowing how people are, I took screen pictures for evidence. Good thing I did.

P.S.- Actually, the part number was 20106284. It took me one week, non-stop to discover the part number, even calling GM. GM did not know. I acquired the part number from Obsolete AutoParts. I thought they were really good by having the part number and showing the merchandise. What a trick that was.

Am sorry you were taken by this snake in the grass. That burns me when that happens!

Have always loved the G-Body Cutlass Supreme. Always wanted to own one, but never had the opportunity come up to do so. So I got a '82 Grand Prix that came along.

Have the same problem as you have. It needed a new LH side power window switch. Ordered it from GM and they figured out it was part #20061549. Was very disappointed that it didn't come with the chrome bezel. (It must be a superceded # as the buttons are a bit shorter than the old switch.) So I tried VERY, VERY carefully to remove the bezel from the old switch to put on the new. Had used a jeweler's very small screwdriver and unfortunately broke both sides of the bezel. I was afraid 30-yr old plastic would do that. Is there a trick to removing and installing these bezels so they won't break? So in the meantime, I've glued it back together (the "clips" didn't break off completely). Don't know if it will stay together or not when installed. Thought I'd try to find a new one before trying to install the new switch. If I can't find a new bezel, what would you suggest on holding the switch in the old one, as my bezel is just like yours.

Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM

To soften the plastic before subjecting it to stress, I would put it in the sun for a while, or heat it to 120* either in a warm oven that has been turned off, or in hot water. Just make sure you do not over heat it so it warps. Use a theremometer.
If it breaks, epoxy is the best thing that could glue it.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by silverado93
Am sorry you were taken by this snake in the grass. That burns me when that happens!

Have always loved the G-Body Cutlass Supreme. Always wanted to own one, but never had the opportunity come up to do so. So I got a '82 Grand Prix that came along.

Have the same problem as you have. It needed a new LH side power window switch. Ordered it from GM and they figured out it was part #20061549. Was very disappointed that it didn't come with the chrome bezel. (It must be a superceded # as the buttons are a bit shorter than the old switch.) So I tried VERY, VERY carefully to remove the bezel from the old switch to put on the new. Had used a jeweler's very small screwdriver and unfortunately broke both sides of the bezel. I was afraid 30-yr old plastic would do that. Is there a trick to removing and installing these bezels so they won't break? So in the meantime, I've glued it back together (the "clips" didn't break off completely). Don't know if it will stay together or not when installed. Thought I'd try to find a new one before trying to install the new switch. If I can't find a new bezel, what would you suggest on holding the switch in the old one, as my bezel is just like yours.

Thanks.
Nalley Buick out of Georgia has them for $36.00. My bezel was broken on one end, not two, by a mechanic. He tried inserting an armrest switch, not a door switch. In this respect, he broke one tab. However, when I replaced the switch, the inner skin of the door, pressed against the backside of the switch kept the bezel very secure: no wiggle or movement. Try Nalley.

Actually, if you are careful, with the right screwdriver, it should not snap. You must be careful, extremely careful to try to move out one end of the tab first.

Last edited by synoptic12; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:22 AM.