Speedway Motors

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Speedway Motors

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oldsm...tor,10180.html

This last week I finally go around to working on 1971 Cutlass. The previous owner had upgraded to an HEI distributor but his wiring is a little confusing. I went and got Speedway Distributor, see the link, to replace the one that came in the car. I have been trying to figure out how he had his wiring done. I found this connector with a resistor on it. It looks to have a similar end as the one that plugs into the distributor but I am not sure why it has a resistor on it. Any ideas?

Old August 20th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

I believe that's the resistor and plug which resides on top of the TVS - Transmission Vacuum Switch located on the passenger side next to the water pump. I'll see if I can find a picture for you. They (PO) probably no longer used the TVS and just let it hanging maybe.
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Running On Empty

Here is a black & white from the CSM. Also, referred to as the DVCS (Distributor Vacuum Control Switch). The plug inserts into the top of the DVCS and has a resistor on it just like the one you're holding in the 1st image. I'll try to find the image I'm referring to in another post which Eric (the other) and I just resolved for another user when his shorted out.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 20th, 2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Here is the link to the thread and a picture (below) of the plug w/ resistor.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-blew-136880/

It looks to be the same type plug and resistor although yours appears green.

Old August 20th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, if you don't see a DVCS, someone removed it. Also, if the plug isn't hooked up to the DVCS but the DVCS is still installed, chances are someone decided not to use the DVCS - many people bypass the DVCS. The key is to hookup the vacuum hoses correctly if you or someone before you elected not to use the DVCS.
Old August 20th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I believe that's the resistor and plug which resides on top of the TVS - Transmission Vacuum Switch located on the passenger side next to the water pump. I'll see if I can find a picture for you. They (PO) probably no longer used the TVS and just let it hanging maybe.
^^^This. That is nothing like the HEI connector, and frankly a 1971 wouldn't have a HEI connector in the harness anyway. That's part of the Transmission Controlled Spark system used on 1970-72 cars and inexplicably the source of unending confusion. TCS is a very early emission control system that disables vacuum advance until the trans is in high gear in an attempt to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx). One of those wires provides power, the other connects to a high gear switch in the trans. That switch is normally closed except in high, so the solenoid in the thermal vacuum switch is energized and blocks the vacuum port to the distributor. In high gear the trans switch opens, the solenoid is de-energized, and you get vacuum to the distributor. Pulling that plug disables the system and provides vacuum all the time. TCS went away in the 1973 model year when EGR was federally required to perform the same function.
Old August 20th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I don't see why you bought a new distributor to fix the wiring, but not a problem. The plug with the resistor is the TCS (transmission controlled spark) solenoid plug that is attached to the top of the DVCS. If the valve has been removed and bypassed, wrap the plug in electrical tape or large heat shrink and wire tie it to the harness. The wires in your hand in picture 2 are the original points distributor resistance power wire and bypass wire from the starter, both used to connect to the coil+ terminal. You can also put heat shrink on them and tie them to the harness. Run a 12ga wire from the fuse box IGN terminal to the BATT terminal on the HEI plug and your done. If you have a tach, it connects to the TACH terminal next to the BATT terminal in the HEI plug.
Old August 20th, 2019, 03:12 PM

Thank you so much! I know need to go back to the drawing board to figure out how he wired the distributor in.
Old August 20th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't see why you bought a new distributor to fix the wiring, but not a problem. The plug with the resistor is the TCS (transmission controlled spark) solenoid plug that is attached to the top of the DVCS. If the valve has been removed and bypassed, wrap the plug in electrical tape or large heat shrink and wire tie it to the harness. The wires in your hand in picture 2 are the original points distributor resistance power wire and bypass wire from the starter, both used to connect to the coil+ terminal. You can also put heat shrink on them and tie them to the harness. Run a 12ga wire from the fuse box IGN terminal to the BATT terminal on the HEI plug and your done. If you have a tach, it connects to the TACH terminal next to the BATT terminal in the HEI plug.
I actually had to replace the engine this last week, and now I am chasing down wiring terminals and want to wire in the new distributor.
Old August 20th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Like I said above, you just need the one wire from the fuse box IGN terminal to the HEI distributor BATT terminal and the engine will run. Set your timing and carb, then clean up the old wiring.
Old August 20th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Like I said above, you just need the one wire from the fuse box IGN terminal to the HEI distributor BATT terminal and the engine will run. Set your timing and carb, then clean up the old wiring.
Thank you again! Wiring is not my strong suit...