Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:23 AM

Speaker upgrade

Hey guys, I have a 77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham that I may want to upgrade the speakers in. First question, is it worth the trouble? And next, are there speakers that will fit in the factory locations without any modification? If so, can someone let me know what they are? Brand, model number etc. I plan on keeping the factory 8 track stereo in place. Thanks and Happy New Year. Al

Last edited by Platinum Al; January 3rd, 2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 01:48 PM

It's worth it if you don't like the sound or have bad speakers. I like to listen to the engine make music, so I'm in no big hurry to upgrade. You'll also need the correct OHM rated speakers if you're keeping the factory radio. 8-10 OHM for our classics. I know 3.5" fits the front but unsure of the depth. They need to be shallow to fit. The rears are 4x10 IIRC but 6x9 will fit. http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

The 73-77 olds forums have some answers also.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

Al,
I replaced my old mono Pioneer cassette deck and rear speakers last summer. Just couldn't handle the crackling and dragging cassettes anymore.
Went with Rockford Fosgate 6X9's . "Punch" 2 way 4ohm P1692 ( No added amp needed, unless ya know )
I left the 3.5 pioneers up front, they are Ok and were in the car when I purchased it.
Sound decent , unlike a good pair of the kicker's, but well worth the $125.00 CDN on sale through amazon.
Running them through an Alpine CDE-145BT.
Had to cut the dash out a bit, but, my 76 isn't a collector car by any means.
If you want more and have more $$ to spend, I would look at the kickers with decent Amp.
Hope this helps,

Eric
Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:28 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I will have to pull one of the fronts out and take it with me when shopping for 3.5 speaker. My 6x9 choice will probably be based on my front speaker purchase. Will I be able to install these new speakers without any wiring mods? And just to make sure, there are 4x10s in the back now? And 6x9 will fit into the opening? Thanks in advance. Al
Old January 3rd, 2019, 05:00 PM
Hookers under Hood

I don't have anything powerful enough for the need to run new wiring, well IMO anyway.
I used the factory wiring , just crimped new female ends to fit the new speakers and plugged them in.
My factory rear speakers were 6X9's, not the 4X10's, so the Rockfords fit in perfect, lined up with the existing factory mounting holes, also lined up the punched holes in the package tray.
The round pioneer 3X5's in the front fit well , I had them out but decided they sounded good enough. Their is about 4" of depth so most 3.5's should fit without any issues as long as you keep to the round style.
I had a pair of 3.5 square to try in the front as well but, once I re-installed the plastic piece that goes along the top of the dash, the factory speaker grill wanted to push up not allowing the 2 front screws to be tightened down enough.
Good idea to measure what depth you have up front and take your 3.5 in when shopping.

Eric