Signal Lights and Window Lifts 1971 98

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Big Easy

Hi All,

I'm new to Oldsmobile's and to this site ... seems like a GREAT place to be!

The signal lights on my '71 98 stopped working at the same time as my window lifts. 4-ways still work. The fuse was blown and I replaced it ... it blows the instant I turn on the ignition switch. Have not found the flasher yet, could a bad flasher cause this immediate "short"? Any ideas?

Have not looked into the windows yet. They are at least "up" so I can drive the car. But the A/C doesn't work and I've been hot a day or two. Is there some type of circuit breaker under the hood for the lifts? No way that much draw could be on a fuse.

As I am new to these cars, any idea where I can get a service manual ?

thanks to all

Byron
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:35 AM

Cool car! Is that it in your avatar? Someone is standing in the way!

Service manuals for your car are on ebay all the time. Here's one for sale right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-OLDSMOB...312719&vxp=mtr

For servicing the power windows, though, as well as many other interior, body, and trim parts of the car, you'll need the 1971 Fisher Body Manual. While GM published separate chassis service manuals for each of its car lines, there was only one body manual each year, and it covered all the model lines.

Here's one for sale right now, but there are others if you search around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Fisher-...b70cf9&vxp=mtr

You can also access the 1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual at wildaboutcars.com. It's free to join, and access to the manual is free. But as I said, power window servicing is not covered in the CSM. You need the body manual, and that's not yet available for 1971 at wildaboutcars site. However, it's still worth joining.

It sounds like you have a short in your turn signal wiring, and I'm guessing you could be right that it could be the flasher. That's located up under the dash. It's a small cylindrical thing that you pull off of the two-prong connector to replace. These are easy to find at your local auto parts store. I see them for $6.99 at Autozone.

If replacing the flasher doesn't solve the problem, then you'll need to trace wiring. I might start by examining each of the four turn signals separately, perhaps removing the bulb at each location and see if that doesn't stop the short. You could consume a lot of fuses this way, though, so it might be worth buying a circuit breaker of the correct amperage that fits in to the fuse slot. They have these at Autozone (and I'm sure other stores as well).

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Big Easy

Hey, thanks for the links and the advice ...

Took the lower dash all apart and found the "2nd" flasher up behind the left side where the parking brake release cable lives. Replaced the flasher and while laying on the floor turned on the ignition ... NO blown fuse. Operated signals, NO blown fuse.

Bolted it all back together, tilted the wheel back down, started the car ... BLOWN FUSE !!!

So something must be shorting up under the dash ... maybe even in the column when I tilted the wheel back down. At least I know where to start I think.

Haven't looked at the windows yet ... need signals first.

Thanks again.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Oldsdruid

I'd look in the column first since moving it appears to affect blowing the fuse. Not unusual for a tilt column to chafe or pinch wires after many years, though the wires are supposed to be in a protective plastic sleeve inside the column. Take Jaunty's advice and get a factory chassis and Fisher manual for your car. They are invaluable. Or you may be able to find some of it on wildaboutcars.com .