satelite radio

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012 | 01:00 PM

satelite radio

HI I'm running into problems with with a new XM ONYX radio. Every time I plug it into the lighter it blows the fuse on my '67 98. I can plug it into my 61 chevy or the trucks I drive at work no problem. I thought maybe it was the unit took it back got another same problem. I even disconnected the unit and just plugged in the power cord and it blew the fuse.Thinking of running a heavier lead to the lighter and putting a ballast resistor in line. Open to any ideas. Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2012 | 05:36 PM

Is the plug designed in a way that is causing a short inside the lighter socket? Compare the Olds lighter to your others that work. An xm radio is not a current hog.
I once had a plug that shorted out the center contact to surrounding case ground and popped the fuse. I also found out you HAD to insert the plug super straight.
Old December 3rd, 2012 | 05:40 PM

Your lighter socket may be the issue. The male plug on your device is shorting out in the socket somehow shorting the side ground to the hot center.The new adapter plug may not be compatible with the old-school design. Compare the socket with your Chev unit and look for physical differences.

Forget the ballast and resistor concepts and focus on the plug jack. It's the bugger from your cord only test. The cig socket is current rated for a much higher load for heating a lighter element then your radio will ever draw.

You may need to install a modern accessory socket in the glove box or somewhere that's tied into an accessory, fused circuit. When you shut the key off the radio will power down. Power sockets are avail at your basic auto parts store for $7.00. Pick one up and test it. Bet it works.

Edit: Doh! L-n-R beat me! I like your new Holiday Graphic.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; December 3rd, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012 | 01:12 AM

Thanks guys, forgot about the 2 lighters in the rear seat of the car tried the radio in them and had no problem. So it looks like the front lighter is bad, even though the radar detector works in it. Thanks again.