Reverse light and neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Reverse light and neutral Safety Switch

Two questions here because both are located in the same area. My new 70 442 has a M-22 four speed and on the back of the shift linkage, there was a two,terminal switch that was not hooked up to any wiring. I'm pretty sure this is the neutral safety switch. Can I test this switch with a voltmeter to see if the switch opens and closes? Do I need to hook a hot wire up before testing? How will I hook this up to electrical? I looked on the wiring diagram from the heritage site and can't find this switch at the trans, it's located on the column for an automatic. I'm assuming this would be one hot and one neutral, maybe jump from the wiring to the tailights?

The other issue is an electrical contact comes off the front shifter fork on the side plate and it also has no wire hooked up to it. I'm assuming this is the reverse light switch. It is only one terminal. Do I just need to hook up a hot to this terminal? Can I jump off the hot going to the tailights?
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:05 PM

Exclamation

Okay, I had two 1970 442 4 speed cars, and if I recall correctly, there was a safety switch on the clutch pedal, to prevent the car from being stated unless the clutch was depressed (not a neutral safety switch); I remember having to bypass this switch when my clutch linkage broke off, and I had to start and drive the car for three days, until I could get it fixed. BUT, I did learn how to drive and shift without a clutch...and it was surprisingly easy with the Muncie!!!

But I do NOT remember where the reverse light switch was located??
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldracerjones
Two questions here because both are located in the same area. My new 70 442 has a M-22 four speed and on the back of the shift linkage, there was a two,terminal switch that was not hooked up to any wiring. I'm pretty sure this is the neutral safety switch. Can I test this switch with a voltmeter to see if the switch opens and closes? Do I need to hook a hot wire up before testing? How will I hook this up to electrical? I looked on the wiring diagram from the heritage site and can't find this switch at the trans, it's located on the column for an automatic. I'm assuming this would be one hot and one neutral, maybe jump from the wiring to the tailights?

The other issue is an electrical contact comes off the front shifter fork on the side plate and it also has no wire hooked up to it. I'm assuming this is the reverse light switch. It is only one terminal. Do I just need to hook up a hot to this terminal? Can I jump off the hot going to the tailights?
There is no neutral safety switch on a manual trans car. There is a CLUTCH safety switch mounted on the clutch pedal linkage.

The two-terminal switch at the back of the trans is the backup light switch. There should be a small wire rod that connects it to the reverse lever on the trans.

The single terminal switch is for the Transmission Controlled Spark system and is normally open in every gear except fourth, where it is closed to ground.
Old February 7th, 2014, 04:06 AM

The clutch safety switch bolts to the pedal assembly. It has a long arm that is actuated by a pin on the clutch pedal. It is a 2 wire connector.

The back up light switch on a 70 car is mounted on the steering column. The back drive linkage actuates it when the shift lever is put into reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Back Up light switch.jpg (22.9 KB, 133 views)
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:57 AM

The back drive linkage on a 4-speed?
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:43 AM

The back drive linkage on a 4-speed?
Attached Images
4 Speed Factory Schematic.jpg (90.8 KB, 144 views)
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:49 AM

Clutch switch
Attached Images
E Bay Pedal Pictures 003.jpg (51.2 KB, 81 views)
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:51 AM

More
Attached Images
442 Shifter.jpg (85.1 KB, 83 views)
442 Hurst Shifter.jpg (95.9 KB, 89 views)
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:58 AM

Tagging along
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks My442, I found these drawings last night. I appreciate your help.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:07 AM

What type shifter is that? Guess I've never seen an original 442 shifter. Seems people like to switch them out for aftermarket shifters for some reason. Thanks for the pics.
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Correction on trans Type

I have to correct the transmission type. It is a wide ratio M-20, not a M-22. Found a receipt from the original builder. Sorry about the confusion.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:03 AM

What type shifter is that? Guess I've never seen an original 442 shifter. Seems people like to switch them out for aftermarket shifters for some reason. Thanks for the pics.
Attached Images
4 Speed Shifters 66 to 72.jpg (34.3 KB, 92 views)