Repairing 61 Starfire Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 01:46 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Repairing 61 Starfire Turn Signal Switch

After a few weeks of chasing out various electrical gremlins associated with a car that's sat most of its life, I discovered that the turn signal switch was bad.

None of my turn signals worked -

Per Service Manual I checked the fuse (good); replaced flasher with a good known one; checked for power at the flasher from the fuse block; checked continuity between the other flasher tab and the orange wire at the switch.

So I called Fusick to get a new switch but they're backordered...

I decided to see if I could fix it - and I did..and saved $65!

HERE"S HOW: -

Step 1 - I Carefully bent back the tabs to separate the plastic housing from the metal mounting bracket. BE CAREFUL - there are 4 ball bearings that will drop out (ask me how I know).

Step 2 - Open and Inspect - my contacts were dirty, grooved, and the grease was essentially solidified.

Step 3 - I used some emery paper to file down the contacts to a level surface - after I was happy with them I cleaned everything with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner

Step 4 - I used dielectric grease on all contacts and moving parts and reassembled - the ball bearings go into little grooves at the base of the interior plastic switch and roll between the switch and the metal bracket - I used a small pair of C-clamps to help hold everything together while I re-bent the tabs into place.

Now it works like new as do my turn signals! This switch is the same for 56-62 (non F-85) so hopefully this will help someone out!

Gordon

Old December 19th, 2019, 08:43 AM

What an awesome post! I'm having issues with my brake lights and turn signals on my '62 working strangely and suspect the turn signal circuit switch as the culprit. I was going to replace it but now thinking I may give your repair method a shot. Thanks for such a detailed post about this!