Radio Hook up

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Question Radio Hook up

Hi I am a new member who´s been watching this great forum for a while, an I need help. I have a 68 Olds 442 convertible with a missing radio. I found a used AM radio on ebay and it´s mine now. The Delco number is 7303253. Serial number 13548-03. Its got 3 blade connections on the back, looking from behind from left to right it´s GD SPK and 12 V. The questions i need help with are: Do I connect 12V- to GD and 12+ to 12 V? How do I connect the speaker? Does anyone know?

Best regards
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM

The 12V goes to the switched +12V lead, somewhere around where the radio would mount. The GD is ground and would connect to the chassis . The SPK lead would run to the + terminal of the speaker (10 Ohm). The - terminal of the speaker would connect to the car chassis ground. Those radios had simple hookup back then.

Of course this is assuming that the wiring is the same as 70-72 (which i believe it is). Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Are you using a stock 10 Ohm speaker? I hope so... A modern 4 Ohm car speaker cannot be used as it could damage the output stake of the radio. You might get away with an 8 Ohm, but i would stick with a stock 10 to be safe (and correct).

You are north of Sweden? Where at? I sure miss my days in Scandinavia...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 17th, 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Oldsdruid

Hello Wolf- Look for a flat plastic plug with yellow and green wires in it behind the dash. This is the radio power and speaker plug. If it's not there:

You should find a YELLOW wire behind the dash. That is the radio 12v power supply and connects to the 12v terminal. It is controlled by the ignition switch so radio operates only in ACC or RUN.

The speaker (+) wire (should be GREEN if it's still there) connects to the SPK terminal. It may have a green and black wire with it that connects to the GD terminal. If not, the speaker grounds to the car body at the speaker mount.

This radio uses a metal support bracket to ground the radio to the car frame. The speaker should ground at the speaker frame. If you don't have the bracket, or the green/black wire, simply run a wire from speaker (-) terminal to the radio GD terminal and also from the radio GD terminal to the car frame. This establishes a good ground path for both radio and speaker.

Rob has good advice on the speaker OHM rating. An 8 or 10ohm speaker will work. Less than 8 ohms will quickly damage the radio output transistor.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The 12V goes to the switched +12V lead, somewhere around where the radio would mount. The GD is ground and would connect to the chassis . The SPK lead would run to the + terminal of the speaker (10 Ohm). The - terminal of the speaker would connect to the car chassis ground. Those radios had simple hookup back then.

Of course this is assuming that the wiring is the same as 70-72 (which i believe it is). Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Are you using a stock 10 Ohm speaker? I hope so... A modern 4 Ohm car speaker cannot be used as it could damage the output stake of the radio. You might get away with an 8 Ohm, but i would stick with a stock 10 to be safe (and correct).

You are north of Sweden? Where at? I sure miss my days in Scandinavia...
This is great information, very useful, Thank You!. For your information, we don´t have AM broadcasting in Sweden But I did want to have a original Oldsmobile radio in stead of a hacked up hole in the dashpanel. If? the radio works, with our help, I am going to try a simple FM-transmitter that plugs in the AM antenna input. I have heard that these things it work.

I live in Örnsköldsvik, 550km north of Stockholm, it´s 25 degres Celsius minus right now but it´s getting better. The 442 is in Garage from september to may so have time to try this out.

Best regards
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Hello Wolf- Look for a flat plastic plug with yellow and green wires in it behind the dash. This is the radio power and speaker plug. If it's not there:

You should find a YELLOW wire behind the dash. That is the radio 12v power supply and connects to the 12v terminal. It is controlled by the ignition switch so radio operates only in ACC or RUN.

The speaker (+) wire (should be GREEN if it's still there) connects to the SPK terminal. It may have a green and black wire with it that connects to the GD terminal. If not, the speaker grounds to the car body at the speaker mount.

This radio uses a metal support bracket to ground the radio to the car frame. The speaker should ground at the speaker frame. If you don't have the bracket, or the green/black wire, simply run a wire from speaker (-) terminal to the radio GD terminal and also from the radio GD terminal to the car frame. This establishes a good ground path for both radio and speaker.

Rob has good advice on the speaker OHM rating. An 8 or 10ohm speaker will work. Less than 8 ohms will quickly damage the radio output transistor.
I´m going to start looking fore this plug right now and for the speaker. I keep you informed. 4 or 8 ohm speaker with resistor in serial would work, thank you all for the help.

Best regards