Process Hints to install TicTocTach 1969?

Old November 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Process Hints to install TicTocTach 1969?

Wow, I was just awakened as to how hard it is to install a OEM Tic Toc Tach into a 1969 Cutlass. My car has air conditioning but even after a duct removal I'm not even close to being able to access the back side of where the gauge fits. Has anyone performed this task that can shed some light as to how much stuff must come out in order to perform the task! All I can hope for is if the heater/ac control is removed access opens up. Any insight from someone with experience is much appreciated. - Steven
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM

I don't have A/C but with the front driver's seat and preferably the console removed you improve access 100%. It's really just two screws that have to be removed/installed. With a 1/4" drive nut driver, a 1/4" universal, a couple long extensions, and some patience the two screws can be accessed and removed/installed. It's a lot more difficult to get the two screws back in than they were to get out. I usually throw a little piece of electrical tape over the socket and then jamb the screw into it so it doesn't fall out. Sometimes there's a jumper ground wire that the driver's side screw has to go through and that makes it VERY difficult to get all aligned and back in.

I've taken all three of my gauges out and back in at different times

Last edited by allyolds68; November 16th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Fyi

Gauge install 1970-1972 easy fast & simple.

Gauge install 1968-69 a neck twisting, knuckle busting, curse word inducing affair.

Enjoy!
Old November 16th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Well, I do have the console out and can pull the driver seat easy enough. I've found no place that I can even reach up from the bottom. I will be removing a "blank" and then installing the tic toc tach in its place. To make matters even more difficult I have three auto meter gauges directly below for oil pressure, temp, and volts.
I was even thinking of trying to move the speedometer into the right hole and center the tach, but access seems so limited I'm just going to go for the one gauge and nothing more. Later this afternoon I'm planning to take a run at it anyway. - Steven
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Get the seat out of the car, and be prepared to spend some time in a very awkward position. You will need a small ratchet, 1/4 inch shallow socket and a little patience. Its held in with 2 screws, you don't have to remove the screws to slide the gauge pod from the dash. Its kids of a pain. I would love to know how the guys installed this stuff on the assembly line!