Popping window seat fuses 66 big car

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Popping window seat fuses 66 big car

Gang got a weird one for you. My 1966 98 convert is popping 30 amp fuses on the window/seat circuit.

Initially I thought it was something old(s) in the accessory harness,but even when I disconnect the power to the relay that feeds them, still blowing fuses. I had used that circuit to feed the modern radio too, but again even when I disconnect that,fuses still blow.

So the problem seems to be in the wire that feeds these accessories, which I believe goes through the ignition switch.

Anyone have ideas on where to begin the tracing chase down? I'm trying to avoid removing the dash.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance, cf
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Lansing built

When does it blow the fuse, when you stroke or engage the switch or when you dead head window or seat?

If it does it on intial engagement it should be a short. The other is amp draw!

Pat
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM

Number one - that fuse is supposed to be 20 amp, not 30. When the ignition switch is turned on, power passes through that fuse to feed the power antenna switch and a relay behind the driver's kick panel. When the relay is energized, the power to the seat and windows comes directly from the power block. The most likely problem is either wiring to the antenna switch or to the relay or else the relay itself is bad. The easiest thing to do is check the relay first. Remove the kick panel and you will see the relay screwed to the inside of the body structure. It has heavy red wires connected. Good luck!
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM

I spoke too soon! There is a special note in the Maintenance Manual that says 30 amp fuse only when there is a power seat. The wiring diagram only shows a 20 amp. Sorry about that! The fused circuit also supplies power to the seat master switch in the door via a pink wire which could be shorted. Further troubleshooting could get complicated. I could get you the wiring diagram if needed if you don't have access to the Body Manual.

Last edited by twobigones; November 18th, 2012 at 07:11 AM.