No high speed for heat/air blower

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM

No high speed for heat/air blower

Car is '67 Vista Cruiser with 330. AC has been converted to R-34. Blower switch has 4 positions. Low, medium and high work fine but the highest speed seems to return to low speed. I replaced the blower relay under the hood. Can't find any info in the shop manual and am at a loss. Anyone have any ideas on things to check. It's really heating up here in Florida and I want all the AC I can get. Thanks for any help
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Well power is available because it has 3 speeds ....My next move would be to test and inspect the blower motor resistor block and connector that is located on the evap housing probly near the blower motor ..Just a thought
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM

There's a separate fuse for that speed - replace it and try again.
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:06 AM

On a '68, there is a separate in-line 25 amp fuse near the horn relay...brown wire?
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by willys33
high work fine but the highest speed seems to return to low speed
So it runs on high but just slowly? Usually no high at all which is that relay or the inline fuse, but you must be getting power. Try cleaning the ground but may be time for a blower motor. Not sure about '67, but on 69-72 that means pulling the inner fender.
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys. I pulled the fuse and checked it. It was fine. I also pulled the blower motor resistor. I'm assuming that the resistance is in the length and shape of the wires on this unit and they were all fine, but dirty. Cleaned it up and polished the connectors and re-installed. I had already replaced the relay on top of housing.
Just tried it again and there is still no 4th speed. So, I'm still hunting for the answer. I appreciate the suggestions and would love to hear any others. Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
So it runs on high but just slowly? Usually no high at all which is that relay or the inline fuse, but you must be getting power. Try cleaning the ground but may be time for a blower motor. Not sure about '67, but on 69-72 that means pulling the inner fender.
I went and tried it again and you're right. No blower fan at all in 4th speed. Low, medium and high all work fine which makes me think electrical problem rather than the blower motor. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull the blower motor and clean/lube it. It seems to work ok but may be a tad slow. Looks like I may be able to drop it out without removing inner fender panel. I'll try to get that done today. As I mentioned, fuse is good and relay is new. Had the same problem with old original relay too. Thanks for the suggestions. Mike
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Im having the same issue with my 69 442. Checked the in line fuse, it is good. Cleaned it and the inside of the fuse holder. Cleaned all the terminals on the relay, but it still doesnt work on high speed. Is the a/c relay the same so I can switch it out and see if its my high speed blower relay thats the problem?
Other than the fuse or the relay, is the blower switch the only other thing that can be bad that controls the blower on high speed?
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Just the facts...

you can drop the blower motor out, but it's a tight squeeze between the valve cover and the hvac housing. you'll have to finagle it and turn the blower motor every which way until the squirrel cage clears the hvac housing, standing on your head does help.

^ edit: it's probably easier with a 330 than a 425.

i have the same problem, with ernie, that you're having. i traced it down to the high speed contact that kicks in the high speed relay, on the dash switch. try going from medium high to high slowly with the dash switch. on mine, it will blow on high until just before you reach the detent in the switch for the high position.

bill
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
you can drop the blower motor out, but it's a tight squeeze between the valve cover and the hvac housing. you'll have to finagle it and turn the blower motor every which way until the squirrel cage clears the hvac housing, standing on your head does help.

^ edit: it's probably easier with a 330 than a 425.

i have the same problem, with ernie, that you're having. i traced it down to the high speed contact that kicks in the high speed relay, on the dash switch. try going from medium high to high slowly with the dash switch. on mine, it will blow on high until just before you reach the detent in the switch for the high position.

bill
Thanks Bill, I gave that a try and still no luck. If I can find some free time, I'll drop the AC ductwork and get back in the dash. Probably something stupid but I'll keep trying. Mike
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got speeds 1, 2, and 3, but no speed 4 (High) at all.

As has been pointed out, this means that you've got power to your heater controller, your resistor block is good, and your motor is good.

That leaves the wire from the horn relay, its connections, its fuse, and the High-Speed relay.

Since you've replaced the relay, it's probably good.

Next thing is to just follow the current and see where it's not.
Check for 12V at the connector from the relay to the horn relay.
Check for a 12V signal from the heater switch to the relay when on High.
Check operation of the relay by connecting 12V to the signal terminal from the switch.

You'll find it.

- Eric