Multi-Function Chime Module

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2020, 11:31 AM

Multi-Function Chime Module

Does anyone know where I can find a Multi-Function Chime Module for a 1990 Olds Custom Cruiser? I thought it was the same as the alarm module but when I went to replace it they were not even similiar. The part number is 10119605 but does not exist in the parts and illustration book. It is however, in the shop manual with instructions on testing and replacing. It is part of RPO Y67 Reminder Package. I put the part number into the interwebs and no hits, just a Massachusetts tax form! Is it possible for a part to just disappear?

Old October 12th, 2020, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Congrats. That module is 1990 with Y67 only. Lotsa luck finding one. This part has long vanished from the parts network. Good used is your only option, and given that Olds only sold 3890 Custom Cruisers in the 1990 model year (and only some of those had Y67), your odds of finding a used one are pretty slim. Sorry.

Old October 12th, 2020, 06:27 AM

Is that the talking chime module? My dad had a 85 Toronado that had the module that said “the trunk is ajar”, the lights are on, etc. I can’t recall ever seeing another car that talked, other than on TV (Knight Rider anyone?). 😎
Old October 12th, 2020, 07:08 AM
4R5

That is the correct #, I show it in my Olds parts book, group 2.195, for '90 only, just as Joe pointed out. The previous # (for '84 to '89 Custom Cruisers) is 25531081 (group 9.765). Why that # went back to a 1xxxxxxx series number, and a totally different group number, and '90 only is unknown to me. Not sure if the 25531081 is compatible. The only difference between '89 and '90 that I know of is the front seat belts were incorporated in the front doors, (one of the reminders was for seat belts not latched) which would have necessitated changing the part of the body harness. Does your '90 have that seat belt alarm function? I have a '90 Custom Cruiser Service Manual, let me know if you want me to see if it details the Multifunction module.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:28 AM

I have the '90 Custom Cruiser shop manual and the '82-90 BCDEGX Parts Illustration book. The only manual I couldn't track down was the parts book without the illustrations that lists all the numbers. I can try searching a picture of the earlier part number. Maybe all they changed was the number?
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by smparr
Maybe all they changed was the number?
Denial isn't just a river in Africa.

GM didn't arbitrarily change numbers if the part didn't also change.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Turns out if you search the web both part numbers come up with the same part with a different number stamped on it but neither is available anywhere.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

The first question is, why do you think you need a new one?

The second question is, why do you think a picture you find on the web is accurate?
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:41 AM

2257058 is also the same part and not available.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

2257058 is also the same part and not available.
I'm curious where you got the info that this is the same part.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:48 AM

The picture is identical with a visible part number that matches the part that superseded it. All the lights in the dash work but nothing makes a sound, even key left in ignition and lights left on. Everything in the shop manual says that's where the sound comes from. Unless I'm missing something. I still have to do some test light checks but I wanted to know what I was up against if that is the problem. Is it a necessity? No, just pay attention to the lights. However, with my 16 yo son driving it, it would be nice if it drew his attention to problems in a more obvious way like it's supposed to.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:51 AM

OEMcats.com lists part numbers and what superseded them. Nothing lists the 90 part number, but they do list the part number for the earlier version. That's how I got the picture of it and externally (including the connector) they are identical. It could work. I've had luck with my '70 98 that way with newer part numbers and Cutlass parts.
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Yes the car does have a seat belt alarm function. Is that a 1990 only thing?
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

OEMcats.com lists part numbers and what superseded them.
"This site is not owned or operated by General Motors Company."

GM regularly published part number history booklets. There is no guarantee that a site that is not affiliated with GM has correct info. Try and search Olds motor mounts on RockAuto. In any case, you're convinced that the parts are identical. Good luck.
Old October 12th, 2020, 11:32 AM

I'm not convinced they are the same, they just look the same. I'm just trying to find a way to make it work if I can.
Old October 19th, 2020, 04:54 PM

I did the test light checks in the shop manual and module is receiving power. After that it says replace the box. I decided Joe was correct that there probably is a reason the number changed and I will just wait for one to show up on the internet some day. Until then I guess I'll bask in the lack of annoying seat belt chimes. On the positive note the turn signal warning alarm module worked when tested today. Thanks to everyone for the help.