MSD Ready to Run HEI

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
65 post sport coupe w/425

MSD Ready to Run HEI

Hey guys couple questions:

Given my lack of expertise with points I decided to change out my distributor for the new MSD ready to run HEI (8529). I bought the kit which basically comes with a coil, wires, distributor and wire seperators. It has made a tremendous differance and fairly easy. I have a couple questions for the experts though:

1. Is there any sort of resistor required? I remember reading something somewhere but I believe that might have been on a different MSD version whereby you had to install an ignition box as well (not the ready to run version)??

2. Is there anything I need to be concerned with on my generator/alternator? Again, I seem to remmeber reading something about using either a gen or alt with an MSD (or other aftermarket) system or resistor?

3. (Somewhat unrelated), is there a differance in an alternator vs generator? If so, what should I be using? A problem I'm having is that I believe I have an alternator (which checked out fine at NAPA, test bench) but I have a light on in the car that indicates the GEN is not working (and it really isn't charging the batt). Any thoughts??

As info, rebuilt "67" 425 put in a "65" F-85 Cutlass. I'm using AC 45S plugs gapped at .053 (some articles said .045 to as high as .060 - picked the middle) and recurved the distributor with a medium and light spring set up which seems to work good. I've got hesitation out off the start but awesome power from about 1200 RPMS on...... still working out the carb and timing settings/recurve though.

By the way, on the alternator I did check all connections and ran a seperate groud wire from the ground post on the alternator. I also made sure the belt was tight.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Past Administrator

The purpose of the resistor wire is to protect the points from excessive wear due to the application of full alternator voltage (@ 13.8VDC) and prolong point life. In many applications the it is in fact a resistor wire, i.e. you can't actually find a device in the wire as the wire itself offers resistance which drops the voltage. In the case of installing an aftermarket device like the one you have, they usually instruct you to remove the wire or just place it aside and run a new wire for a full 13.8VDC. I don't think you would need to worry about using the resistor wire unless the instructions to the MSD unit say so. There is also an MSD box which is used to tailor your spark advance electronically, drag racing is an application where this might be neccessary to make on-the-fly adjustments due to track conditions. About the alternator/generator question. Older cars up until sometime in the early sixties used a generator to generate the required DC voltage to run the car systems. After that they found that an alternator which produces AC voltage was more economical as they are usually smaller and more efficient, they put a built in converter inside the alternator to change it to DC. Your car has an alternator, the use of the "GEN" light is a carry-over from the old days and does cause confusion for those with inquiring minds like us. The "GEN" light usually illuminates when there is a too low or too high voltage from the charging circuit indicating a possible failure in the voltage regulator. It might however, also indicate a soft short someplace which could be constantly draining the battery. It depends on the vehicle. Check your owner manual for sure. About your car, they can usually check your charging system in the car. If you alternator checks good on the bench, you might have a slow current drain in the vehicle or a bad wire someplace. Is your ground wire from the engine to the battery good? Is the positive wire and it's connections from the battery to the starter and from the starter to the alternator good? Hopefully, the "in car" check should indicate this, but not localize the exact trouble. A good physical inspection should locate the wire. Be warned, green corrosion can originate from the battery at the terminals and not be visible if the insulation it butted up against the terminal connection but it creeps up the wire sometimes a couple of inches. This is bad and the cable should be replaced. Good luck.
Dan
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
65 post sport coupe w/425

Thanks, I'll do a better inspection tonight. As you suggest, it's probably an old wire or connection somewhere. This is an old car that isn't street ready yet so I'll work on running it down the ole fashion way (check every wire and connection).