Location of back up light switch on 71 four speed

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Location of back up light switch on 71 four speed

I am trying to finish up a botched restoration of a 1971 442 Cutlass clone. The restorer put a toggle switch under the dash to activate the back up lights. I would like to install a switch on the transmission/ shifter that will activate the back up lights when the four speed is put in reverse. My question is: where is the switch supposed to be located? Thanks for the help.
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The switch is located on the top off the steering column, just inside the firewall, and is operated by the backdrive linkage from the reverse lever of the transmission.

You will need to find and re-assemble the backdrive linkage.

Or you could connect the wires back to the switch, and operate it by rotating the upper outer collar of the steering column.

Or you could just use the toggle switch.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM

These parts were commonly removed back in the day. People did not like that you had to put the car into reverse to get the key out.

I suggest you get at a minimum two great resource books, 1- a Chassis Service Manual and 2 an Assembly manual for your car. These are wonderful resources and help so much when looking for help with keeping these cars on the road.

If you look they are for sale on here and on ebay often. I suggest a hard copy of each. Computer copies can be a pain when you need it as you work on your car. I also collect "Motors" manuals for various years as they have some great technical information.

Hope all this helps

Larry