LED 1157's?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2022 | 08:10 PM
66 cutlass

LED 1157's?

Was wondering if there is such a thing as an LED 1157 bulb that plugs in without having to mess with the wiring. And if so do they run hotter than normal bulbs or put any strain on the electrical system? I'm always a little more than paranoid about fire in a 50 year old car. I've had several morons ride my butt when I have my turn signals on and want to make sure I can be seen. This is for my 72 C/S.
Old August 17th, 2022 | 08:16 PM

LEDs draw less current than regular incandescent bulbs so they are easier on the electrical wiring.
Old August 17th, 2022 | 08:22 PM
66 cutlass

Is anyone here using them and if so what brand?
Old August 17th, 2022 | 09:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Somebody will speak up but I believe you have to change the signal stat on your turn signals.
Old August 17th, 2022 | 09:22 PM

I've tried 3-4 different styles of LED tail light bulbs, and these are by far the best I've used. Running lights and brakes are both significantly brighter, much like a modern car. The "instant on" also helps with the reaction time for drivers behind you. I was considering adding a third brake light (I have tinted windows, I don't think it would have looked too bad) but after using the bulbs I don't feel the need for a third brake light any more.

Not cheap, but well worth it IMO

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...sionthemeid=26
Old August 17th, 2022 | 09:24 PM

You may also need this, I did.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old August 17th, 2022 | 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Somebody will speak up but I believe you have to change the signal stat on your turn signals.
Correct. The original style flasher unit has a bi-metallic strip that heats up from the current through it and bends away from the end contact, thereby breaking the circuit, turning the light off, cooling down, then reconnecting so the light turns on and the cycle repeats. LED lights have significantly less current draw so the bi-metallic strip doesn’t heat up and bend, so the lights don’t blink. The solution is to install an electronic flasher in place of the mechanical flasher. Or leave an incandescent bulb in the circuit to have sufficient current draw to activate the flasher. But that defeats the purpose of installing LEDs.
Old August 18th, 2022 | 04:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've used these LED bulbs in both my 62 and my 67 with no issues. Much brighter than incandescent. I've only got LEDs in the rear, so the front incandescent turn signal bulbs still provide sufficient resistance for the original mechanical turn signal flasher to work.

Amazon Amazon
Old August 18th, 2022 | 05:08 AM
Gary

Two cautions...

1. I've not found an 1157 that will fit in GM sockets. The problem is the shoulder on the LED barrel won't let the bulb sit low enough in the socket to allow rotation to engage the bulb-retaining pins. Before ordering, call and discuss this. If they don't understand what you are talking about, call the next company on your list. Perhaps someone on here can guide us to a brand that will fit, or tell us about a brand that can be modified to fit.

2. Nearly all LED bulbs have low brightness difference between high (stop) and low (running). They generally range from 1.5 to 3 x, meaning that the stop light is 1.5 to 3 times brighter than the running light. An incandescent has 10.5 times brightness difference. A BIG increase in brightness is a safety factor that can wake up people behind you. Again, call before ordering. If they don't have data, assume they have the usual low brightness difference and call the next company on your list.
Old August 18th, 2022 | 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

I an NOT criticizing anyone believe me I am not but just observing that some people (probably not anyone who has posted above) are originality shall I say "manic". Obsessed with numbers matching this numbers matching that, they would probably scream with insanity at our suggestion to use led bulbs as they have significantly higher candle power. I was perusing the factory manual for my car yesterday and noticed a complete chart for all the bulbs used and their candle power ratings, some as low as 1 and a few as high as 25 (I think). I think most of those were interior lights too but I am sure the original 1157 incandescent is not as bright. Just wondering if there really are those kind of people out there that would cringe reading this thread.
Old August 18th, 2022 | 05:36 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I was perusing the factory manual for my car yesterday and noticed a complete chart for all the bulbs used and their candle power ratings, some as low as 1 and a few as high as 25 (I think).
Sylvania lists the 1157 bulb as 32/3 candlepower (stop filament/running filament candlepower). Brighter is safer and better. Larger brightness ratio between filaments is best.

On my DD I have 3157 LEDs (Samsung 50) from VLEDS.com. The running light intensity is equal to a filament bulb, but the brightness ratio is 14 times. The world behind me lights up red when I step on the brake (8 bulbs light up).
Old August 18th, 2022 | 09:24 AM
Rodney

I'm trying to fit the Classic Cougar LED1157s into my '72 tail light housings and they will not fit because of the square shoulder that Gary mentioned. The Classic Cougar LEDs are crazy bright but the differential between hi & lo is smaller than the stock bulbs. I have tried several brands of LED bulbs and could not find any that would fit into the deep sockets of the '71-'72 tail lights. Since my tail light housings needed a lot of attention and some of the bulb contacts would not spring back to the bulbs, I decided to replace all the sockets on the housings. I tested several sockets that also would not accept the square shoulder LED bulbs. The S-91 socket from Standard Motor Products will accept the Classic Cougar & Brishine LED bulbs and will snap into the tail light housings without further modifications.. I'm still working out the specifics of this "upgrade" so I'll report back with my findings. Amazon has the sockets for $9.86ea. but I got mine from RockAuto.com for $4.18ea. This is my scheduled car project this weekend as well as repainting the rear tail light lenses.

Rodney

S-91 Socket from Standard Motor Products

Last edited by cdrod; August 18th, 2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old August 18th, 2022 | 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've used these LED bulbs in both my 62 and my 67 with no issues. Much brighter than incandescent. I've only got LEDs in the rear, so the front incandescent turn signal bulbs still provide sufficient resistance for the original mechanical turn signal flasher to work.

https://www.amazon.com/BRISHINE-Bril.../dp/B07NQBF3QV
Have you or anyone. Add the Xenon White to the back-up lights?
Old August 18th, 2022 | 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
I'm trying to fit the Classic Cougar LED1157s into my '72 tail light housings and they will not fit because of the square shoulder that Gary mentioned. The Classic Cougar LEDs are crazy bright but the differential between hi & lo is smaller than the stock bulbs. I have tried several brands of LED bulbs and could not find any that would fit into the deep sockets of the '71-'72 tail lights. Since my tail light housings needed a lot of attention and some of the bulb contacts would not spring back to the bulbs, I decided to replace all the sockets on the housings. I tested several sockets that also would not accept the square shoulder LED bulbs. The S-91 socket from Standard Motor Products will accept the Classic Cougar & Brishine LED bulbs and will snap into the tail light housings without further modifications.. I'm still working out the specifics of this "upgrade" so I'll report back with my findings. Amazon has the sockets for $9.86ea. but I got mine from RockAuto.com for $4.18ea. This is my scheduled car project this weekend as well as repainting the rear tail light lenses.

Rodney

Good info here. The Classic Cougar bulbs I listed fit just fine in the tail lights of my 1969 Cutlass, but their amber bulbs would not fit into the front marker/signal lights. I used these for the front. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess check the vendors return policy if they won't fit.
Old August 19th, 2022 | 11:46 AM

I bought some white Phillips 1157 led bulbs that have the internal resister but chose not to use them because they are not as bright and kind of yellowish in the tail lights compared to the 1157. Red bulbs might appear to be different but the white bulb in the red lens, did not look good in my opinion.
Old August 19th, 2022 | 02:57 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by 1of1442
...the white bulb in the red lens, did not look good...
I found the same. With bulbs the same color as the lens you get a brighter, truer color.
Old August 19th, 2022 | 03:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just ordered red bulbs for the taillights and amber ones of the parking lights although I have clear lenses for the parking lights. I also ordered a new flasher for the turn signals. I think the amber bulbs will be okay with clear lenses.
Old August 19th, 2022 | 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

https://www.amazon.com/BRISHINE-Bril.../dp/B07NQBF3QV
X2, on my 70 Cutlass I did just the rear tail lamps and reverse lights. I never changed the flasher. I bought my 1156 and 1157 bulbs (similar to Amazon) from eBay.
Old August 19th, 2022 | 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think the amber bulbs will be okay with clear lenses.
I also have amber LED up front behind clear lenses, looks great.
Old August 20th, 2022 | 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod

Rodney

Interested in your report back on how the installation of the sockets went into the tail light housings; especially on getting the old ones out without trashing the housing.
Thanks
Old August 26th, 2022 | 06:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I finished the installation of my LED bulbs (1157's). I did not realize the taillights on my 75 Olds had two 1157's in each side. I just received the second set today after the first second set was lost in transit. I finally found the flasher yesterday under the dash after I pulled the panel with the AC vent, light switch and wiper switch out. I had to make a couple jumper leads to reverse the polarity and then ground it with the lead on it. All works great. The amber bulbs look really nice in the parking lights. With two bulbs in each of the taillights it really has some bright taillights and turn signals. I really think it was well worth the $70 I spent.
Old August 28th, 2022 | 08:46 PM

I got my LEDs from SuperBright LEDs

If you just change the rear, you most likely don't need to get a different blinker as the front will provide enough resistance.

Another advantage is LEDs produce less heat so it won't melt wiring and housing
Old August 28th, 2022 | 09:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I agree. When I had one set of LED's in the rear and a pair of 1157's in the other taillight sockets and LED's in the parking lights. it worked okay. I changed the flasher before I put the second set of LED's in the taillights. Rock Auto has some LED's on closeout for 28 cents each. They are not as good as the ones I bought for $15 a pair but they are cheaper than 1157 bulbs. I bought 15 of them and am not sure what I will ever use them for. I guess I dan use two of them in the replica 39 Ford teardrop taillights I put on my golfcart.