Key Buzzer warning switch

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM

Wow - the quest for the "Holy rasp" continues...
Those switch setups ARE pretty delicate. I would try magnetizing a thin metal rod to try to remove the lost clips. Also, maybe have a magnet near the clip so it can be caught before running for the hole again. Or somehow plug the hole first?
Might almost be time for the "Holy hand grenade"...
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Well I concede defeat....for now. I figured out my problem. Two contacts on the back of the signal switch. One Pink (horn relay), one Black (ground). If I ground the pink wire I get the buzzer so Pink is 'looking' for ground. But when I jump the Black (ground) wire to the Pink, nothing. That tells me that the Black (ground) wire has 'lost' ground somewhere from there to the harmonica connector at the base of the column or possibly somewhere else. If I run a dedicated ground and manually close the buzzer switch with my thumb it works normally. However a dedicated ground by-passes the door switch and ignition switches and would buzz anytime the key is in regardless of position of it or the door. So, if I ever need to replace my signal switch or remove the A/C ductwork under the column (or both) then I'll look for the bad wire. Until then I guess I'll live without the buzzer.
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Well I concede defeat....for now.......... So, if I ever need to replace my signal switch or remove the A/C ductwork under the column (or both) then I'll look for the bad wire. Until then I guess I'll live without the buzzer.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Until then? Just get one of those annoying buzzers you can get from 'the source' and manually trigger it to make that aaaahhhhhnnnnnnn oying noise. When I pull my column in the spring do you want the buzzer dooey? I'm not really a big fan of that noise

I might be reading the wrong thing into this, but if you jumped the pink wire to ground and got the buzzer, but nothing from the black, is it possible you might just have a bad ground connection in the switch itself?

I find it hard to believe the connection is bad in the wiring to the harmonica plug. Suggestion? pull the harmonica plug anyway and check the contacts for corrosion.
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Tha Black (ground) wire doesn't really go in thru the signal switch it just is laid against the backside of it and attached to it with a blade connector so I can visually see the whole wire so I'm just assuming the problem is at some other connection. It could even be a broken wire in the left front door jamb/base of column/etc. As much as I like the 'buzz' it's really not worth digging any further unless I have to for some reason.
Old December 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

AAAHHHHHHNNNNNN!! Right answer. Eric will be so pleased....
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Wel,l rather than tear the dash and harness apart to look for the bad ground I just ran a dedicated ground to the signal switch for the key buzzer and now everything works normally. The only problem is by bypassing the door jamb switch it will buzz anytime the key is in (and off) regardless of the door position but it does go off when in the 'run' position so I guess I can live with that for now.
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You are insane, man.

Stark, staring mad.

To each his own, though...

... Just don't be skulking around my yard trying to fix MY ignition key buzzer - the only thing I want to hear out of it is silence.

- Eric
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You are insane, man.
Stark, staring mad.
To each his own, though...
... Just don't be skulking around my yard trying to fix MY ignition key buzzer - the only thing I want to hear out of it is silence.

- Eric
I can just see it now. Eric standing there with his keys locked in the car..... Wait! that's what rocks are for! Break the glass in case of emergency?? You guys are a hoot!

WIIILLLLMMMAAAA!!!! Bam Bam Bam Bam!!
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
that's what rocks are for!
For any of our cars all you need is a coathanger. Takes about ten seconds.

Locks are for honest people.

- Eric
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Hey - anyone have MD's cell #? We can force download a 'raspy buzzer' ringtone to it. He'd love that!!
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Well after a sleepness night (not happy with the 'band-aid' fix) I've begun to pull it all back apart and remove my ground and fix it the right way. I've pulled the lower dash and accessed the 'harmonica' connector. Now I can see if the 'open' is on the signal switch side or door jamb switch side and repair it accordingly - the correct way. It's a good thing I don't have anything else to do in my life.
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ..!!!!!!!

Old December 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM

ROTFLMAO

I had to read this tread when I saw it 52 responces, Think'in, How in the Wide Wide World of Sports can it take 52 responces to fix something most people want unplugged.
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I wish we can attach a sound to a thread.............
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM

FIXED! After I accessed the 'harmonica' connector, I unplugged it to check for continuity and found the ground wire from the door jamb switch into the connector (body harness side) not fully 'clipped' into connector. To look at it visually it looked fine but when connecting it, it was pushing back and not contacting blade connector. Chaulk this up to how NOT to throw parts at something (like I did) and go back to basics and make the effort to properly diagnose something! My father always said, "There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!" All's well that ends well, I say. Now everything works as advertised and that "AAAAAANNNNNNN" brings a smile to my face every time.
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good for you! Glad it worked out in the end.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

May God have mercy on your soul.

- Eric
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM

May God have mercy on your soul.

- Eric
LMAO! C'mon Eric. You know deep down inside you really like that buzzer. You need to let go and be one with the buzzer.
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
LMAO! C'mon Eric. You know deep down inside you really like that buzzer. You need to let go and be one with the buzzer.
BE THE BUZZ, Eric, BE THE BUZZ....
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
BE THE BUZZ, Eric, BE THE BUZZ....

Did I ever tell you about the time I was driving along on a warm day, minding my own business, enjoying the breeze through the window, when I felt something tap against my chest, and seconds later, I felt, well...

+ =

Perhaps that formative experience partially explains the strength of my feelings...

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: png
BEE.png (13.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpeg
Angry Bee.jpeg (6.1 KB, 75 views)
Balls.jpeg (18.5 KB, 82 views)
Hair Raising.jpeg (33.9 KB, 69 views)