instrument Panel Lights Out - 69 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:13 AM

instrument Panel Lights Out - 69 Toronado

Hello Everyone,

The instrument panel lights went out in my 69 Toronado. Only the back-lights for the speedometer, etc. - All other lights, interior and exterior, seem to be working properly. I'm thinking it's likely a fuse, but am not good at troubleshooting problems. I'm a good "parts replacer." Which fuse would this be, or is there something else that's a likely culprit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Rob
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TahoeRob
Which fuse would this be,
The 4A fuse labeled PANEL LTS.

or is there something else that's a likely culprit?
Have you verified that the problem isn't the rheostat on the headlight switch that dims the panel lights? Be sure the **** is all the way counterclockwise (without turning on the dome light). Try rotating the **** back and forth, as sometimes the rheostat wire corrodes.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 4A fuse labeled PANEL LTS.

Have you verified that the problem isn't the rheostat on the headlight switch that dims the panel lights? Be sure the **** is all the way counterclockwise (without turning on the dome light). Try rotating the **** back and forth, as sometimes the rheostat wire corrodes.
Thanks Joe! I have rotated the **** back a forth a number of times, but haven't done anything else to it. If the fuse doesn't do it, is that **** the likely culprit? Do I need to find a replacement for the whole thing, or is there another way to fix it?

Thank you!
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe! I have rotated the **** back a forth a number of times, but haven't done anything else to it. If the fuse doesn't do it, is that **** the likely culprit? Do I need to find a replacement for the whole thing, or is there another way to fix it?

Thank you!
The panel illumination lights are ultimately fed from the headlight switch. The rheostat output is a green wire from the switch that runs back to the fuse panel and feeds that 4A fuse. The other side of that fuse feeds the IP connector. Use a voltmeter or test light to see if you have 12V on the 4A fuse at the panel when the headlight switch is on. If you do, the problem is between the fuse panel and the instrument panel. If not, then the problem is between the headlight switch and the 4A fuse.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Thanks so much Joe! Much appreciated.
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:29 PM

No voltage coming through the headlight switch. What's my next move? Can I disassemble the switch and replace a single part, or do I need to source a complete switch?
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How is the taillight fuse / Do your taillights work?

- Eric
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Yes. Tail lights work.
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

No voltage coming through the headlight switch. What's my next move? Can I disassemble the switch and replace a single part, or do I need to source a complete switch?
A complete switch is about $25 at NAPA.
Old July 27th, 2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks Joe! Is it possible to wiggle the switch out of there in-place, or do I have to remove the dash? Any resources for instructions?
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have not replaced a Toro headlight switch before, so I'll defer to someone who has. The headlight **** needs to come out first. Pull the **** to the Headlights On position (with the battery disconnected), then reach around and depress the release button on the switch as shown below. With the button pressed, pull the **** the rest of the way out of the switch. This allows you to unscrew the retainer, which frees the switch from the dash.

Old July 28th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The '69 Toro has hidden headlights.

The headlight switch may be a special, with a vacuum switch attached (I don't know Toros either).

If so, the original is probably hard to find, but it should be possible to transplant parts from a new switch, if this is found to be necessary.

- Eric
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The '69 Toro has hidden headlights.

The headlight switch may be a special, with a vacuum switch attached (I don't know Toros either).

If so, the original is probably hard to find, but it should be possible to transplant parts from a new switch, if this is found to be necessary.

- Eric
It is and it does have a vacuum switch integrated. The photo I posted is a 68-73 Corvette switch, which looks amazingly like the drawing of the Toro switch in the CSM. Corvette specialty houses sell this switch for around $32.

The Corvette world has lots of posts about this headlight switch, including photos of how the top plate with the vacuum switch can come off and be swapped.

NewSwitches6768_82_3.jpg
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ah, got it. I didn't even see the vacuum switch on top of the headlight switch in your photo - I think either the picture or my eyes must be low-res.

- Eric
Old July 28th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Thanks so much Joe! I will try one of those.
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:21 AM

I got one of the Corvette switches. It seems like everything will work, but the vacuum ports are slightly larger than on the old switch and the hoses won't fit over them without splitting. Is there some type of adapter I can buy, or a recommended way of handling this problem?
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I got one of the Corvette switches. It seems like everything will work, but the vacuum ports are slightly larger than on the old switch and the hoses won't fit over them without splitting. Is there some type of adapter I can buy, or a recommended way of handling this problem?
Dorman sells a bunch of different vacuum fittings, including splices for different diameter hoses and soft rubber end tips in both straight and 90 deg styles.

Old August 8th, 2016, 01:33 PM

Thanks Joe!
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:29 AM

New switch is now installed, but instrument panel lights are still not functioning. So, new switch and new fuse. Where do I go from here?
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

New switch is now installed, but instrument panel lights are still not functioning. So, new switch and new fuse. Where do I go from here?
Have you verified that you have power on the PANEL LTS fuse as noted in Post #2 above? Is the **** on the switch fully CCW?
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Joe,

With the **** in the full CCW position, it reads 0V. At the full CW position, it reads -12V.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So you have power to the fuse.

Do you have power on the other side of the fuse?

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Shouldn't it read 0V at full CW and 12V at full CCW?
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:25 PM

So you have power to the fuse.

Do you have power on the other side of the fuse?

- Eric
Both sides of the fuse read the same.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good, so the next step is to check the voltage in the grey wire. Easiest will be at one of the sockets, but you can also intercept it as close to the fusebox as possible and stick a pin through it to probe it there.

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks Eric. The Grey wire running from the switch to the fusebox?
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Grey wire from fusebox to panel lights.

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,

With the **** in the full CCW position, it reads 0V. At the full CW position, it reads -12V.
How, exactly, are you testing this? The voltage out of the headlight switch should be batter voltage with the **** CCW and near zero with the **** CW. I would suggest using a test lamp, not a VOM, especially if that is not a high-impedance VOM. When connected to the fuse (and the other end of the test lamp grounded) the lamp should be bright at CCW and dim as you turn the **** the other way.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:44 PM

Sorry. My mistake. I am, indeed getting 0V at full CW and 11.5V at full CCW at the fuse, and I get 11.5V at the grey wire off of the headlight switch, as well. Still no light on the panels, though.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:45 PM

All of the instrument panel lights were working correctly, then slowly dimmed and went out completely a few weeks ago.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry. My mistake. I am, indeed getting 0V at full CW and 11.5V at full CCW at the fuse, and I get 11.5V at the grey wire off of the headlight switch, as well. Still no light on the panels, though.
If you have power at the fuse, the problem is between the fuse and the instrument panel. There are several possible causes, though a loose pin on the IP connector would likely be high on my list.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM

Grey wire from fusebox to panel lights.

- Eric
Is this the grey wire that comes out of the ACCSY harness on the front of the fuse box on the lower righthand corner? If so, I am no getting any reading there. If not, which wire am I looking for?
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:52 PM

If you have power at the fuse, the problem is between the fuse and the instrument panel. There are several possible causes, though a loose pin on the IP connector would likely be high on my list.
Thanks Joe. Which connector would that be? Up on the back of the panel? I can sort of see up there, but can't get to that area easily.
Old August 11th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe. Which connector would that be? Up on the back of the panel? I can sort of see up there, but can't get to that area easily.
The IP lamps are fed by a grey wire that comes out of the back of the fuse panel, not the front. Apparently there is a splice in the wire behind the dash, as it feeds both sides of the instrument panel (with a separate connector for each) as well as the heater illumination. Given that, it is unlikely that multiple pins in multiple connectors failed simultaneously. There is definitely a problem with this feed wire from the fuse panel, however. Unfortunately, at this point you need to perform brute force circuit tracing.
Old August 12th, 2016, 08:52 AM

The IP lamps are fed by a grey wire that comes out of the back of the fuse panel, not the front. Apparently there is a splice in the wire behind the dash, as it feeds both sides of the instrument panel (with a separate connector for each) as well as the heater illumination. Given that, it is unlikely that multiple pins in multiple connectors failed simultaneously. There is definitely a problem with this feed wire from the fuse panel, however. Unfortunately, at this point you need to perform brute force circuit tracing.
Thanks Joe. Just to clarify before I dig in. This would be the gray wire on the firewall side of the fuse box, not on the cab side?
Old August 12th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe. Just to clarify before I dig in. This would be the gray wire on the firewall side of the fuse box, not on the cab side?
Yes, I called the firewall side the "BACK". This grey wire is integral to the harness coming out of the fuse panel. It is not one of the accessory wires that plug into the front.
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:52 PM

You mentioned that you had the same voltage at both ends of the fuse, but did you check the voltage on the fuse contact? The contacts in the fuse box can and do corrode and prevent the voltage from leaving the fuse box even though it is passing through the fuse. If you find the contacts are corroded, you can remove the fuse and use a small wire brush to clean them up. Make sure you disconnect the battery before using a wire brush across the fuse box. No need for a light show until everything is cleaned up.
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by cjsdad
You mentioned that you had the same voltage at both ends of the fuse, but did you check the voltage on the fuse contact?
That is a really excellent point, and one I completely failed to pick up on in his post.

Thank you for noticing that.

- Eric
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the additional input, everyone. I have gotten the lights working again, however, they are extremely dim, even when turned all the way up. Any ideas?

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed and continues to help!
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... they are extremely dim, even when turned all the way up. Any ideas?
You've got resistance somewhere.

First guess is always the nichrome rheostat wire.
Next would be rust on the fuse clips (both the taillights fuse and the instrument lights fuse).
Next would be summed effects of various terminals and connections, including the connections at the horn relay lug.

Try jumping directly from the battery (+) to various points (fuse clip AFTER the inst. fuse, with fuse not installed, taillight power input of headlight switch, etc.).

Unfortunately, this can get annoying, but you WILL get it figured out and fixed.

- Eric

Quick Reply: instrument Panel Lights Out - 69 Toronado