Ignition electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2006, 06:05 AM

Ignition electrical problem

1977 Delta 88

Went to start the car to go to work today and when i turned the key to the Run position, all the electricals died, like a blown fuse.

Then i waitied about 30 seconds and it all came back on. Turned the key again to Run, same thing happened. Seems to be OK in the Accessory position (radio and inside lights work), but blows when i put it to run, can't even get it to the Start position.

I thought it was a fuse, but the power seems to caome back after a few seconds. Is there some sort of circuit breaker that resets itself?

I didn't have time to look at all the fuses, was late for work.

Car was running great last night, never had any starter problems before.

Really need help as this is my daily driver.

Thanks, Shane.
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:33 AM

Thumbs up Electrial

Check your connections at the starter,there are fuseable link wires at that connection ,Also check battery ground connections where it bolts to block & body,
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I know this post is way to late to help, but maybe it can help someone later. Sounds like corrosion on the Battery post terminals, or a Dead Cell in the Battery. Had something like this happen to me in my pickup truck, stopped at store, came back out after 5 minutes engine wouldn't start. Interior lights would work, radio, etc. but when you go to start the engine - nothing, couldn't even jump start it, had to buy a new Battery.
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM

thanks anyways, but i fixed it a while ago. turns out the main lead from the battery to the solenoid was bad. Depending on how i would pull or twist it, the current would flow intermitantly. that's why sometimes i had power and sometimes not.

as a sidenote, they really designed the placement of the starter/solenoid poorly. i had to remove the starter to even be able to jump the solenoid to test it. what a pain in the a**

I replaced the whole lead and got rid of the fusible link wires while i was down there. replaced them with a regular fuse for easy replacement if ever need be.

Works great now.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Exclamation Electrial problem

Shane glad to hear you got it going ,Although cutting out the Fueseable Link wires could be problems ,They are meashuerd by length & guage ,depending on amperage draw .These are Slow burn fuses .designd to carry loads such as power surges ,Jump starts , Intermittent shorts Ect. Good Luck. ozoneblue