I think I bought the wrong radio.....

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM

I think I bought the wrong radio.....

I have been looking for a AM/FM radio for my 64 Starfire for a year now and when I saw one on ebay for a 65 I took a chance and bought it.
I tried to install it today and found out that it does not fit in the dash due to the fact that the distance between the faceplate and the ***** is different than my original AM radio.
I guess its back to AM for a while while I keep trying to find a replacement.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM

1964 radio

The best bet at this point may be to relist it on eBay and hope to recoup the cost. The '64 AM-FM radios don't come up that often. You could leave the AM radio installed for correct appearance, and hide a newer unit in the glove box, or under the passenger seat ?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marinus_
I have been looking for a AM/FM radio for my 64 Starfire for a year now and when I saw one on ebay for a 65 I took a chance and bought it.
I tried to install it today and found out that it does not fit in the dash due to the fact that the distance between the faceplate and the ***** is different than my original AM radio.
I guess its back to AM for a while while I keep trying to find a replacement.
63-64 should interchange. As you have unfortunately found out, 65 does not. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with an HVAC control panel for my 64. Fortunately it was only $5 at Hershey last year.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM

If it would fit a 68 I'd like a chance at it. Im looking for an wonderbar #7303173 or just a am/fm #7303153
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmobomb
The best bet at this point may be to relist it on eBay and hope to recoup the cost. The '64 AM-FM radios don't come up that often. You could leave the AM radio installed for correct appearance, and hide a newer unit in the glove box, or under the passenger seat ?
My car originally came with an AM/FM radio but was replaced before I bought it. I don't mind listening to our local AM oldies station while cruising in the Starfire but I just want to keep it original.
It came with a power antenna as well which is missing and near impossible to find.

I had the chance to buy another 64 starfire last summer for $3000.00 with an AM/FM and power antenna and I seriously considered buying it just for those two items. I would have a hard time trying to explain that one to my wife though.