How does this patch keep my wipers working?

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

How does this patch keep my wipers working?

Alright, the previous owners did some electrical voodoo to keep the wipers functional, I have no idea exactly what, but the pictures below describe the wire and fuse I am talking about.

So, when I removed my battery earlier to give it a quick charge, I noticed a fused wire going over to the wiper assembly, connected to a yellow wire. If I remove the fuse, the wipers will not function.

I'm not certain, but I think this strange bypass might be what is draining my battery. Anyone know how to remedy this problem? I don't know where the yellow wire goes, or what it does aside from seemingly provide 12 volts to the wipers.

I don't like rigged wiring, and if possible I'd like to fix this, any ideas?

Pics:

Old December 15th, 2013, 03:25 PM

The yellow wire supplies power to the wiper motor. I'm guessing there is a problem with either the factory wire or the fuse box that powers the wiper motor, that might explain the previous repair. The wiper switch provides a ground to different windings in the motor to provide the various wiper speeds. Unless there is a problem with the park switch in the motor I don't see how this could cause your battery drain issue. You could remove the wire from the battery and install it to a unused terminal on the fuse block that is powered with the key on.

Hey! Check out my post count!

Last edited by matt69olds; December 15th, 2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Had to comment on post count!
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The yellow wire supplies power to the wiper motor. I'm guessing there is a problem with either the factory wire or the fuse box that powers the wiper motor, that might explain the previous repair. The wiper switch provides a ground to different windings in the motor to provide the various wiper speeds. Unless there is a problem with the park switch in the motor I don't see how this could cause your battery drain issue. You could remove the wire from the battery and install it to a unused terminal on the fuse block that is powered with the key on.

Hey! Check out my post count!
That's how I thought it worked, thanks for the info, guess I'll have to break out the multimeter and go chasing down bad wiring soon. Oh joy...
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Just the facts...

Thumbs up

hey! at least he fused it close to the battery!