Horn relay help

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2022, 05:16 AM

Horn relay help

I had a stupid moment and unhooked everything off of the old horn relay before putting the new one on, and now can't remember what goes where on the bottom side.

To add insult to injury, one wire had been previously replaced, and the other two both seem to be red.

Anyone have any suggestions other than just hooking a battery up and trying to not short anything out?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 16th, 2022, 06:18 AM
Oldsdruid

CSM shows it all in the electrical section.

Basically you have red (sometimes black) wire from battery + , red wire to the fuse block, black or black/orange stripe to the high blower speed relay if A/C, and a black wire to the power accessory circuit breaker. May be more or less depending on the car's accessory equipment.

The assembly plant installed them on the JB post in a specific order but I don't think it makes much difference.
Old April 16th, 2022, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Are you talking about the wires that plug into the relay or the wires that go on the power stud?
Old April 16th, 2022, 06:31 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm referencing the wires that plug into the bottom. I have the ones that hook onto the lug switched over already
Old April 16th, 2022, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

Uh oh - no 1969 CSM? The wiring diagram is located in the 1969 CSM.

Basically you need a (generally red) wire from the battery (+) post to the horn relay junction block post (this is your main power source), a (generally red) wire from the alternator & VR to the horn relay junction block post (this wire integrates into the external VR & alternator with a splice in the wiring loom, & the wire which contains the fusible link. The fusible link wire is most often red, but the "end" terminus of this wire changed from red to black I believe in the 1969 model year wiring diagrams. I don't own the 1969 CSM (wiring diagram) therefore, you may want to wait until someone else validates, but that is the basics of what needs to be hooked up to the junction/distribution block post.

Look at this 1968 CSM wiring diagram.

Note how the end terminus of the fusible link wire color is "black" in my 1971 CSM wiring schematic, yours may have remained red. In either case, the fusible link wire needs to be attached to that junction/distribution block post.

Old April 16th, 2022, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by brotherGood
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I'm referencing the wires that plug into the bottom. I have the ones that hook onto the lug switched over already
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Uh oh - no 1969 CSM? The wiring diagram is located in the 1969 CSM.
What Norm said
By the way, the pink with black stripe is the annoying key buzzer wire. You probably wouldn't be upset if that one somehow was forgotten.

Old April 16th, 2022, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
What Norm said
By the way, the pink with black stripe is the annoying key buzzer wire. You probably wouldn't be upset if that one somehow was forgotten.

I must've missed that in the manual. I've gotta clean the old connectors up anyway and I'll give them a shot.

Thanks.
Old April 16th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Running On Empty

Joe already has you covered.

"Apparently" (not to be confused with extrapolation) the 1968 wiring diagram (I referenced above) "appears" to demonstrate same wire colors (if you're into colors).

Old April 16th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Joe already has you covered.

"Apparently" (not to be confused with extrapolation) the 1968 wiring diagram (I referenced above) "appears" to demonstrate same wire colors (if you're into colors).

That diagram is also correct for 1969 but unfortunately doesn't show which terminal gets which wire unless you pry the cover off the relay and trace the internal wiring.
Old April 18th, 2022, 11:21 PM

Can you plug the wires into the wrong socket? If I remember correctly, the terminal bodies are keyed to only fit in the correct place.
Old April 19th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Can you plug the wires into the wrong socket? If I remember correctly, the terminal bodies are keyed to only fit in the correct place.
They should be, but after half a century, who knows what connectors are on them - especially since the OP seems to indicate that the wire colors are not factory.
Old April 19th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Forgot to update this, but I did sneak out during our Easter lunch and try it..blamed it on the dog.

It don't remember which one was the one that had been replaced, but after seeing the diagram(s) above it allowed me to figure out 2 of the 3..which led the 3rd being the only one left (and contrary to the wife's opinion-I ain't that dumb)

I'm hoping that this weekend I can get the front end buttoned up and out of the garage to enjoy the sunlight..if so I'll throw a battery in and make sure I didn't screw anything up.