Hei and Ned box 71 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2017, 04:43 PM

Hei and Msd box 71 Cutlass

I'm trying to install a Hei and msd box in my car and I'm having trouble figuring out the tac, and 2 ignition on wires and what to do with the wires that came off of the coil. If anybody has the same/similar I'd greatly appreciate any help or pictures.

Last edited by JLane92; September 29th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old September 29th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Administrator

It would help if you posted your MSD box model number.
Old September 29th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It would help if you posted your MSD box model number.
6a, 6200
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Administrator

It says you remove the 4 pin module with the HEI harness that runs from the module to the cap and install their wiring harness pn 8861 and 8860 as per picture. This is basically just using the pickup as a trigger as an input to the box. The output wires (black and orange) are connected to the cap in place if the 3 pin connector that was removed earlier. The the ground wire is installed separately in the center terminal. If the HEI was already installed, simply unplug the 2 wire connector and connect the red wire to the Batt terminal on the harness connector. If not, you must remove/replace the resistor wire at the bulkhead connector from your original coil + terminal with a new 10ga. Or you can cap that wire and run a new wire from the IGN terminal in the fuse box and connect it to the red wire at the 6AL box to turn the box on and off with the ignition switch.
Connect the tach wire from the 2 pin connector that originally plugged into the cap directly into the tach connection at the box.

Hope this helps.

Old September 30th, 2017, 12:00 PM

It says you remove the 4 pin module with the HEI harness that runs from the module to the cap and install their wiring harness pn 8861 and 8860 as per picture. This is basically just using the pickup as a trigger as an input to the box. The output wires (black and orange) are connected to the cap in place if the 3 pin connector that was removed earlier. The the ground wire is installed separately in the center terminal. If the HEI was already installed, simply unplug the 2 wire connector and connect the red wire to the Batt terminal on the harness connector. If not, you must remove/replace the resistor wire at the bulkhead connector from your original coil + terminal with a new 10ga. Or you can cap that wire and run a new wire from the IGN terminal in the fuse box and connect it to the red wire at the 6AL box to turn the box on and off with the ignition switch.
Connect the tach wire from the 2 pin connector that originally plugged into the cap directly into the tach connection at the box.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that these are the last things I have. The red wire from the 6a box and the tac and bat to the hei

Old September 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JLane92
Thank you for that these are the last things I have. The red wire from the 6a box and the tac and bat to the hei

when I removed my coil 1 side had a single green wire and the other side had 2 wires a tan and a grey
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Is the HEI a fresh install replacing a points distributor?
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Is the HEI a fresh install replacing a points distributor?
Yes it is
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hope this helps.

The green wire that was connected to the negative side of the stock coil I'm going to assume is your tach wire.

The other 2 wires that were on the coil + terminal are the resistance wire and the bypass wire that runs from the starter which can be capped and stowed in the harness.. See bold comment in original post above.
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:11 PM

The green wire that was connected to the negative side of the stock coil I'm going to assume is your tach wire.

The other 2 wires that were on the coil + terminal are the resistance wire and the bypass wire that runs from the starter which can be capped and stowed in the harness.. See bold comment in original post above.

Thank you and sorry for all of the noob questions this will be my first carberated car. So i can cap the other 2 wires and run some new 10g from the distributor to the fuse block or connected it to a existing wire ?
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Administrator

No the 10ga needs to run from the IGN terminal in the fuse box to the red wire that feeds the 6AL box that your holding in your left hand in the picture you posted above. You already should have the distributor wired to the 3 parallel terminals from the 6AL box, black and orange wire on each end and grnd wire in the center. There will be no connections on the batt or tach terminals on the cap. The 8860 harness connects to the magnetic pickup in the modded distributor where you removed the 4 pin module.

Does your engine really require this extensive of a mod to run properly? I would think a plain old HEI would of been more than sufficient. The reason I ask is that you added major complication if you break down on the road.
Old September 30th, 2017, 07:13 PM

No the 10ga needs to run from the IGN terminal in the fuse box to the red wire that feeds the 6AL box that your holding in your left hand in the picture you posted above. You already should have the distributor wired to the 3 parallel terminals from the 6AL box, black and orange wire on each end and grnd wire in the center. There will be no connections on the batt or tach terminals on the cap. The 8860 harness connects to the magnetic pickup in the modded distributor where you removed the 4 pin module.

Does your engine really require this extensive of a mod to run properly? I would think a plain old HEI would of been more than sufficient. The reason I ask is that you added major complication if you break down on the road.

No it didn't but it was something my father had lying around that I wanted to use after all of this I kinda wish I would've just left it alone lol lesson learned