GEN Light Neutral saftey/backup switch

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM

GEN Light Neutral saftey/backup switch

i have tried installing a new neutral safety/ back up light switch on the steering column. i have not been able to get the reverse lights to come on. sometimes they will come on, but most times not. i have noticed that when you put it in reverse the GEN light comes on. Is this suppose to come on when in reverse? any ideas? its on a 65 olds dynamic 88 conv.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dynamic88
i have tried installing a new neutral safety/ back up light switch on the steering column. i have not been able to get the reverse lights to come on. sometimes they will come on, but most times not. i have noticed that when you put it in reverse the GEN light comes on. Is this suppose to come on when in reverse? any ideas? its on a 65 olds dynamic 88 conv.
The GEN light is unrelated to either the neutral safety or the backup light functions and circuits, so there's definitely something funky going on. It almost sounds as if you have a bare spot in the wire harness somewhere that is shorting the GEN light circuit. I would start by temporarily disconnecting both connectors from the neutral start/backup switch and see if the GEN light still comes on when you shift. The lack of backup lights tells me you still don't have the switch adjusted correctly. I assume the neutral safety function works?
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM

joe, it should work. its brand new. i put a new turn signal switch in the column. i had a difficult time putting the things back in the column. could it be a wire in there? i just dropped it off today to have a new top put on, so when i get it back ill try unplugging the switch.