"Dead in the water"

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM

"Dead in the water"

So I fired up my 71 442 conv. last weekend and drove around the neighborhood a little. After it ran I went to start it and got nothing. I found the little red wire that goes from the + terminal on bat to the relay came off so I re connected it and started up.
I went out today to run it again and change oil and I have completely nothing again just like when that wire fell off. I checked wire again and continuity and both are good. I moved through PRNDSL while trying to start and still nothing.
I left my volt meter at work so I really cant do any real diagnostics except for continuity. I have no dummy lights, lights or horn. I put the battery in last year and it was running last weekend.
Any ideas where to start? I checked all fuses too. I'll try jumping later just to see if the battery is completely dead? I also have no radio or interior lights.
Any of you guys and girls feel free to chime in.
Thanks
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM

Found out the battery is completely dead. Hard to believe after just a year. Not even a click or light of any kind.
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM

Batteries can be funny like that. Sometimes if they loose a charge the plates will 'sulfate' and short the battery, killing it dead. Probably what happened. Glad it wasn't anything major.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:23 AM

How and where did the red wire detach?
How did you fix it?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM

You know I was surprised since the battery at least showed some life last week after sitting for 10 months and then getting it running I thought it would slowly start to charge up since I had it running for at least a 1/2 an hr. I got in it yesterday and it was completely dead.
The wire fell off because the battery is not a perfect fit to the factory hold down clamp and doesn't secure it like it should and the wire has very little slack. Last week while driving around the hood the battery shifted and the wire pulled out of the + terminal. I have done nothing with the wiring since I got the car so the previous owner replaced the original battery terminal with a replacement and that was the weak point. I simply put the wire back into the terminal with the battery cable and re-torqued the 3/8ths bolts
The battery is a little over a year old so maybe I can get a credit? Once I replace I will check the charging system also.
Any you guys familiar with the technique of putting a test light between the ground terminal and ground to check for a short?

Last edited by scrappie; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
Insert the test light so that it is in the circuit between the negative battery cable and the negative terminal of the battery. This can be done by connecting one end of the test light to the negative terminal of the battery, and the other end of the test light to the end of the negative battery cable.
Take note of the brightness of the test light. A faint glow may be normal due to certain systems, such as the clock or modern stereo memory running (also make sure the dome light is not on - i.e. door opened). A bright glow in the test light, however, indicates a battery drain.
Go to the fuse panel in the car and begin removing fuses one at a time, checking the test light as you have each one removed. If the light remains on while you have a fuse removed, that system is OK, and you can replace that fuse and remove the next one.
Identify a system that is causing battery drain by the fuse that is removed and causes the test light to go out.