Dash wiring and door jam switch

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2015 | 06:44 PM

Dash wiring and door jam switch

Couple questions for '69 442:
- the drivers door jam switch has this crazy 3 prong connection (see pics), I tried to put it together but two of the prong kept moving and eventually i broke one. (to me it seems like a bad design from the start but really it was me getting frustrated) Do i need to use one of these switches or can i use one like the passenger side and run two wires to one connector? ( would also attempt to install a new correct style if its recommended) hopefully someone will know what i'm talking about...

- also have two wires under dash that i cant figure out where they go. One is a two wire connector ( orange and pink) and the second is a black ground with single black connector.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0055.JPG (81.5 KB, 47 views)
IMG_0056.JPG (73.0 KB, 45 views)
IMG_0058.JPG (125.6 KB, 45 views)
IMG_0060.JPG (56.3 KB, 43 views)
IMG_0065.JPG (91.7 KB, 41 views)
Old January 6th, 2015 | 07:15 PM

I think one of the jamb wires is the key-in alert buzzer and you could do w/o it. I think there is a reason the circuits are kept separate unless the door is open, but the details escape me. Certainly if you had to, you could join all three thru diodes to a single ground, and the diodes would prevent backflow when door is closed.
Old January 6th, 2015 | 07:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Orange and pink is the TH400 kickdown switch connector.

The black could be a ground for anything, possibly a connection for a noise suppression capacitor.

The door switch is the type used with the ignition key warning buzzer. You should be able to get one new, and should have no problem finding one in a junkyard or from a member here - just replace it.

- Eric

edit: beat me to it, Chris!
Old January 7th, 2015 | 04:46 AM

Thanks guys-- i will pick up a new switch -- i know they are available new. Just didn't understand why they would have different switches left side - vs right.

also on the orange and pink wire-- car is a manual so thats why i couldnt figure it out.

Will keep working on the last ground wire-- that connector must go somewhere
Old January 7th, 2015 | 03:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan
Just didn't understand why they would have different switches left side - vs right.
Because only the driver's door triggers the key-in-ignition buzzer.

Will keep working on the last ground wire-- that connector must go somewhere
Take a look at exactly where the wire comes from and what other wires are right near it, then look at the schematic in the Chassis Service Manual, and it may give you a good hint.

- Eric
Old January 7th, 2015 | 06:04 PM

Thanks guys-- i will pick up a new switch -- i know they are available new. Just didn't understand why they would have different switches left side - vs right.
It is funny how my '72 has a 3 prong switch on the right just like the one on the left. However just two wires go to it. This made it easier to wire the alarm though!
Old January 8th, 2015 | 04:46 AM

regarding the last mystery wire -- I'll take another look in the book tonight. Not going into the garage in this cold.

Also need to find a place that sells the spear shaped ends for the wires - since i broke one.
Old April 22nd, 2016 | 06:54 PM

I know this is an old post but thought I would comment on where the mystery black wire attaches. That is the ground for the courtesy light above the radio.