1986 cutlass supreme ignition pulse amplifier

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Question 1968 cutlass supreme ignition pulse amplifier

I have a 1968 olds cutlass supreme with a 350 in it. It has been sitting for 20 years under half decent cover. I have replaced the starter and coil and the condenser on the coil. when I try to start the car it "turns over", but I have no spark. I have power to the coil. There is no power to the plugs.
I have a original chassis service manual, and have been studying it. in the electrical section of the book there is a small section on a ignition pulse amplifier.
I can't find it!!! I have look under the motor, on top of the motor. I have looked on the tops of the fender well where it appears to be in the book.
If you have any information. I'll take it! Thanks!

P.S. I have not messed with the distributor deeply. I have removed the cap and replaced it properly.

Last edited by Themanjones; April 22nd, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Themanjones
I have a 1968 olds cutlass supreme with a 350 in it. It has been sitting for 20 years under half decent cover. I have replaced the starter and coil and the condenser on the coil. when I try to start the car it "turns over", but I have no spark. I have power to the coil. There is no power to the plugs.
I have a original chassis service manual, and have been studying it. in the electrical section of the book there is a small section on a ignition pulse amplifier.
I can't find it!!! I have look under the motor, on top of the motor. I have looked on the tops of the fender well where it appears to be in the book.
If you have any information. I'll take it! Thanks!

P.S. I have not messed with the distributor deeply. I have removed the cap and replaced it properly.
Welcome. First, I assume your thread title is a typo and you meant 1968, not 1986.

Second, the UHV ignition system was a relatively rare option in 1968. I strongly suspect your car does not have this option, which is why you can't find it. Does the car have conventional points in the distributor? If so, you don't have UHV, so stop looking for it.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:03 PM

Thank you Joe for the Info. I pulled the distributor cap and saw it has points. I replaced the points along with the condenser and the rotor, and I now have spark.

that would make sense of why I cant find the amp. I am very thankful for the info.