Dash indicator lights prior to ignition

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2022 | 03:52 PM

Dash indicator lights prior to ignition

I just completed a project on my 69 S to rewire the engine bay, under dash, and install Vintage Air. I finally have things that work inside the car now that power is getting everywhere... or most everywhere. When I insert a key in the ignition and begin to turn, I get an oil light... should I get an Alt light and/or temp too? Do Temp and Oil (if lit) go our when the startedr engages? I havent been able to find a spot in the factory manuals that says what should light up & when and nothing ever worked on the car before so any insight you guys have would be awesome!

Related ?.... Are any of the plastic bases for the bulbs in the factory speedometer/fuel gauge w/idiot lights different? My old bulb bases for turn signals were a different color.
Old February 22nd, 2022 | 04:04 PM

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...l/image16.html

According to this owners manual page for a 1969 Cutlass, the Oil and Charging System light will turn on when you turn the key to the "On" position. The Temp light will "appear momentarily when starting the car".

Hope that helps.
Old February 22nd, 2022 | 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by emidgett1969
When I insert a key in the ignition and begin to turn, I get an oil light... should I get an Alt light and/or temp too? Do Temp and Oil (if lit) go our when the startedr engages? I havent been able to find a spot in the factory manuals that says what should light up & when and nothing ever worked on the car before so any insight you guys have would be awesome!

Related ?.... Are any of the plastic bases for the bulbs in the factory speedometer/fuel gauge w/idiot lights different? My old bulb bases for turn signals were a different color.
Think of three positions (1) OFF, (2) ON & (3) START. In the OFF position no lamps illuminate. In the ON position WITHOUT the car running, both the GEN & OIL lamps illuminate (indicating they are operational) before the car is started. When turning the IGN SW to the START position, both the GEN & OIL lamps should go off (not illuminate). The engine TEMP lamp will illuminate only briefly (indicating it is operational) when you turn the IGN SW to the START position and the TEMP lamp should immediately turn off.

I don't think (but I don't recall) if any of the bases are different colors (they may be). I'm not sure if the plastic base color would make any difference. I believe they all take the same size/type bulb and socket don't they? So, I doubt it matters what the color of the base is I wouldn't think.
Old February 22nd, 2022 | 06:03 PM

Yes there are different bulb holder colors. I recall light grey and dark grey/brown but they are otherwise the same. Maybe the colors differentiated bulb wattage for factory assembly purposes - I don’t know for sure, but I do know either wattage bulb will fit in the holder.
Old February 22nd, 2022 | 07:37 PM

Cool thank you guys! Not sure how I missed the page in the owners manual, thanks for pointing me back in the right direction lol
Old February 22nd, 2022 | 10:09 PM

There are different color bulb sockets. The black are for illumination and usually take a 194 bulb. The light blue sockets are usually warning lights and use a 168 bulb which I think is slightly brighter.

With the engine off, ignition on, ground the brown wire at the voltage regulator (or alternator). The charge light should come on. If not, check your wiring. If it does light, most likely you have a defective voltage regulator, either the one on the firewall or the one in the alternator.

GM was smart enough to provide a way to check the warning light bulbs without removing them. Turn on the ignition, don’t start the engine, both the oil and charge lights should be on. Slowly turn the key to Bulb Check, there is no detent in the ignition switch, it’s at a point in the rotation just past Accessory ( the radio shuts off) and crank. The Hot light should come on. Or, if the wiring kit didn’t include that feature, just ground the green wire at the temp sending unit with the ignition on. The light should be on.