in-dash clock

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM

in-dash clock

how big a deal is it to fix the in-dash clock in a '76 98? Anyone know why the clocks always quit working? Is it just age?
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

My '72 98 clock only works when you snap the time adjuster...then, stops again a few seconds later. So, to keep my kids preoccupied, I have them keep snapping it while I am driving...just kidding. The clock not working does not bother me so much. What does bother me is that even though the radio (and 8-track player) works, the volume is so low (even turned up all the way) that you cannot hear it while the car is running.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

The clock is right twice a day, why mess with it?
I just set the one in my '71 to seven minutes to one. I always turn the battery off so if it worked I would be re-setting it all the time and it doesn't bother me that much not working...yet.
It's probably just age and dirt and wear if it has power, not many seem to work once they get some years on them, You can have it converted to a moderm movement or repaired. The sweep second hand on new movements is sort of strange looking until you get used to it.

An old trick to get old mechanical and bat-op toys working is to take them and set them in direct sunlight, loosens the solidified oil and grease and some of the time it really works well, cars get pretty hot inside too though.

The radio and 8 track deal would drive me nuts.
Is it two seperate units with the power and control switching when you put in the tape or an integral deal?
Mine has two and low sound would be something external I would think.
Rob and a few other guys here are electronics gurus, try a new thread with the problem and see what they say Danny Boy.

Maybe their first question should be "How loud is the car????".
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Oldsdruid

Depends on which clock you have. A Borg analog clock can be easily updated to a quartz movement. A General Time analog or the Regency digital clock cannot. The analog clocks quit for three reasons: the works get gummed up, the winding points get dirty or burned, or the winding solenoid fails. The rollover digitals just quit.

These clocks work by an electrical self-winder. As the clock winds down, a set of points in the clock closes and causes the winding solenoid to electrically kick the winding mechanism and wind the clock. Cycle repeats itself endlessly, every couple minutes or so, until they quit winding.

If you don't mind a little disassembly, the 1974-76 clock comes out of the dash easily from inside the glovebox. It's a friction fit on ribbed studs. Simply push the clock toward front of the car and it should come out thru an opening in the glovebox below the clock. Then disconnect the 12V power feed and light socket. Might want to disconnect the battery while doing this.

1971-73- pry out and pull the woodgrain trim pad toward you and the clock mounting will then be exposed. It comes out from front of the dash.

Once the clock is out, you should be able to pull the back off it by loosening the tabs that hold it to the clock face and unscrewing the power feed terminal. Then you can see the points that wind the clock. Clean them lightly with a points file or other fine abrasive strip, then lightly spray some WD-40 in the clock works or if you have a fine drip oiler that will work too.

Reassemble everything, power it up, and my guess is the clock will work for a while unless the winding solenoid is bad. I did the one in my Custom Cruiser close to eight years ago and it works fine and keeps perfect time unless the car sits idle for more than a few days, then it will gain time? We also did the one in my bud's 66 Starfire and it too keeps good time.

I solved the digital clock problem in my 76 Regency by installing a later Delco ETR AM-FM-cassette with digital electronic clock. Then the trouble was finding a suitable 74-76 B/C car clock blank plate.

DB- that radio needs to see a technician. It should blast you out of the car volume-wise.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Pro GM

^I'm going to try that. Mine apparently "works" but buzzes like hell and keeps winding itself.

The autometer clock clusters are expensive and those black $10 car digital clocks are butt ugly.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:08 PM

i have one than is NOS for the 76 98. if you are in the 48 i would take $100 shipped.
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Hi, new to the site. I was just wondering if someone here could answer my question for me. I have a 1970 Cutlass Supreme, I took the clock out yesterday because it is not working. It is the Borg clock. I was wondering if there was supposed to be a power wire connected to the back of the clock somewhere?