Console courtesy light/lamp

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Question Console courtesy light/lamp

Hi guys,

I have a console car. There is a courtesy lens at the rear of the console indicating there should be a lamp within. I've disassembled the compartment to find only a pin style switch (see pic). I don't see any wiring to the switch nor a lamp bulb.
  • Does anyone have the factory configuration as depicted by the Chassis manual illustration?
  • Has anyone restored their console to make the light work properly?
I'm trying to discern if my console is missing wiring components, and if so, will an aftermarket harness work? Thanks.

IMG_0352.JPG console switch.jpg IMG_0361.JPG
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM

The bulb should be part of the console harness as well as a wire that will connect to the pin switch
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM

you are missing the console harness. fusick has them for $49. it looks like you have a 70 with the neutral safety switch on the shifter. if so the harness is 70 only. the console harness should plug into the console extension harness located under the front of the console from under the carpet. if your plug is not there you will need the extension harness also.
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
you are missing the console harness. fusick has them for $49. it looks like you have a 70 with the neutral safety switch on the shifter. if so the harness is 70 only. the console harness should plug into the console extension harness located under the front of the console from under the carpet. if your plug is not there you will need the extension harness also.
So, one end of the extension harness should poke up thru the carpet?

Is the only purpose of the console harness to provide wiring to the console lamp? Or is there other functionality built in?

Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM

after looking at the pictures again, you have the 70 extension harness because it also plugs into the neutral safety switch and i can see it. the 70 console harness plugs into it at the front of the console. and yes, it is for the lights. back of the console light, inside the console light and shifter light.
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:23 PM

after looking at the pictures again, you have the 70 extension harness because it also plugs into the neutral safety switch and i can see it. the 70 console harness plugs into it at the front of the console. and yes, it is for the lights. back of the console light, inside the console light and shifter light.
Hmm. The shifter light for the dual gate works properly (lights ups) so I'm wondering if the console harness already exists and might be tucked under the console somewhere.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Hmm. The shifter light for the dual gate works properly (lights ups) so I'm wondering if the console harness already exists and might be tucked under the console somewhere.
My suspicion was confirmed; the console harness was tucked inside the carpet underneath the console. Here is the end after feeding through the dual-gate shifter. IMG_0363.JPG

Now I have another question. Take a look at these pictures - does anyone know what the red wire plugs into? It's near the front of the console and is fairly long. I checked the chassis manual and it didn't show a diagram of it. Perhaps it's for a manual transmission?
IMG_0364.jpg IMG_0366.jpg

Last edited by stlbluesbrother; November 2nd, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more content
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM

looks like someoe added that wire. is that wire going into a butt connector? if so it was added.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM

looks like someoe added that wire. is that wire going into a butt connector? if so it was added.
I think you're right. It looks like the gray wire was spliced and a connector used to integrate the red wire.
IMG_0374.jpg

If I'm reading the chassis manual properly, the gray wire is a positive lead to the tranny indicator light. I guess the mystery will remain as far as the intended purpose of the red wire. Thanks for your input.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM

in high school i hooked up a CB radio to my console harness. it could have ben a number of things.
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:26 AM

The gray wire is for a dimmable light, so maybe it went to some aftermarket gauges or something. Only dimmable light in the console is the shifter light.
It might be better to remove the red wire ant butt connector and insulate with heatshrink tubing.