Car is paranoid,the horn goes off with the key in!

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Easy Does It!

Car is paranoid,the horn goes off with the key in!

Im having a problem with the car,70 supreme, when the key is in and the door is open the horn goes off,or when i leave the key in the ignition and i close the door it goes off,it just started doing this,any ideas?
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Not sure but I would unplug the harness from the underside or the horn relay for now until you can track down the issue.
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Registered

The car is haunted.

It sounds like something in the key buzzer deal is grounding out the horn and making it go off?
Unplug the key buzzer lead from the bottom of the horn relay like svnt442 said and see what happens.
The horn relay grounded well and all that?
I don't know if that would do it but it can't hurt to check.
Otherwise other than something in the column with the buzzer switch you got me.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM

You know what the key buzzer is in the horn relay I think. That would be why the horn seems to have taken on a mind of it's own.
You can get a new relay and see what happens.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
You know what the key buzzer is in the horn relay I think. That would be why the horn seems to have taken on a mind of it's own.
You can get a new relay and see what happens.
Yes, you are correct. Does the horn work with the normal horn button? If not, someone has crossed the key buzzer and horn wires. If the horn works normally, there is probably an internal short in the horn relay.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Unplug the PINK wire from the hornrelay on the firewall. If it stops, and noone played wire switcheroo on you, then the horn relay may have developed an internal short.

The key reminder buzzer is built into the horn relay. It is still available at many auto parts stores.

BTW, Very nice looking car and a wicked set of wheels!
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Did they move it from the fender to the firewall in 71?
In 70 it's on the fender.
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Unplug the PINK wire from the hornrelay on the firewall. If it stops, and noone played wire switcheroo on you, then the horn relay may have developed an internal short.

The key reminder buzzer is built into the horn relay. It is still available at many auto parts stores.

BTW, Very nice looking car and a wicked set of wheels!
That is a very nice car but unless he had 100K to buy it my guess is it still belongs to the owner that had it built by Jeff Swartz

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...x?projectid=15
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Originally Posted by gearheads78
That is a very nice car but unless he had 100K to buy it my guess is it still belongs to the owner that had it built by Jeff Swartz

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...x?projectid=15
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, you are correct. Does the horn work with the normal horn button? If not, someone has crossed the key buzzer and horn wires. If the horn works normally, there is probably an internal short in the horn relay.
Joe,the horn is not currently working, i have a pink wire and orange wire under the dash that were disconnected and capped off on the end no together but seperate.when i open the door with the key in the ignition,the cutesy light comes on but there is no door buzzer.

Lady-i have a relay that hangs down from under the dash,its a round one(older type) but that one has a plug going to it. and i have a bigger squared relay on the drivers side fender were the battery,alternator,and some other cables go to,so which is it.

Gearhead-Jeff shuarts is in fact still the owner,That is what my car most resembles,so far now i guess i can officially promote his car untill i post pics that are decent enough for a sig
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kidcutty
i have a relay that hangs down from under the dash,its a round one(older type)
No, you don't. That's the flasher for the turn signals. The other round flasher on the fuse panel is for the hazard lights.
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, you don't. That's the flasher for the turn signals. The other round flasher on the fuse panel is for the hazard lights.
so wheres the relay i need to unplug?
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM

On the fender where the power wires are connected on that post. There are also some plugs on the underside of it.
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Driver side inner fender. Its the little box that has all the wires going to it. You have to open the hood to see it. Its not inside the car. Disconnect the battery before you unplug the wires or change out the relay.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Joe,the horn is not currently working, i have a pink wire and orange wire under the dash that were disconnected and capped off on the end no together but seperate.when i open the door with the key in the ignition,the cutesy light comes on but there is no door buzzer.
If you could post a clear picture of the disconnected wiring, it would help.
The Pink should be for the key buzzer but need to be sure.
Does the horn sound when the courtesy lights are switched on at the light switch?

i have a relay that hangs down from under the dash,its a round one(older type) but that one has a plug going to it.
Thats the turn signal flasher - should have a clip under the dash to hold it (difficult to find though.)

a bigger squared relay on the drivers side fender were the battery,alternator,and some other cables go to,so which is it.
THAT is the horn relay. I forgot about it being on the fender on 71 and older.
A clear picture of that would help to check the wiring. Remove the pink wire and see if the problem stops.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Even after 100K, the door water shields were installed to help store and funnel water INTO the interior... Of course a car that nice should never see water...
It seems like every car I run across that have been 'professionally' worked on do not have the shields tucked into the doors like they should... The result is usually warped, discolored door panels and moldy carpet, and of course the rust to go with it.
- Sorry, automotive pet peeve.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Okay i cheked the wiring out today, I followed the horns wiring to the relay inside the drivers fender and disconnected a green wire.

That disconnected the horn so it doesnt beep anymore but now my horn is deactivated. Now there is a pink and orange wire under the dash that were cut and capped off seperately, and are just hanging.

That pink wire runs from the steering wheel down underneath the dash. Ive looked around to see if the other end to the pink and orange wire are somehwere but there is nothing.

I tried joing the pink and orange together but nothing. besides that i dont see any other tampering with the wiring under the dash or on the engine bay.