Car Electronics Died Mid-drive?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM

im no expert but that wire that's loose sure looks a lot like and amplifier to battery cable. I used to install lots of amps and sounds on cars and that's the exact wire well use to connect the amp to the battery..
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by 72CUTTY
im no expert but that wire that's loose sure looks a lot like and amplifier to battery cable. I used to install lots of amps and sounds on cars and that's the exact wire well use to connect the amp to the battery..
You probably know more about the overall electronics on my car then I do then. But, its not the amp wire. The other end is definitely grounded to the fender.

The amp wire is the thinker centipede looking connection going to the + end on the left side with the yellow at the end:
HcR55.jpg

My plan of action is to go ahead and connect the mystery wire to the (-) of the batter. Hopefully this weekend I will then have time to follow the diagrams for a 72 and with using a multimeter, go through and find out where a connection is getting lost or a ground isn't working.
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Runner

Great news!
But first, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and the time they put to helping me.

My car is up and running again. After checking all the grounds with no issues, I pulled on one of my cords coming off the hot end and realized one just slipped out of a relay! My alternator cord apparently goes to a bolt and then goes onto the alternator. It just fell out of the electrical tape! I made sure it was nice and secure, and I'm back in business! Below is a picture of where the problem.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM

So major loose connection as suspected.
Were you able to get the cable soldered into the connector this time? You would need a big soldering gun but it is doable.
Some heatshrink tubing would be much better than tape.

That cable could have caused some big damage or fire should it had made it out on its own and contacted ground!
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
You would need a big soldering gun but it is doable.
I would actually recommend a propane torch and lots of flux.

- Eric
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Originally Posted by Joffroi
....The amp wire is the thinker centipede looking connection going to the + end on the left side with the yellow at the end:
I know this is a solved mystery, but by your description above, you have + black wires and -red wires.
If this is true, you need to redo your wiring. Pronto.
Black should only be for ground (-) and red should only be used for positive (+), this way there will be no confusion when you have future electrical problems.

It is not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when'.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by midrange
I know this is a solved mystery, but by your description above, you have + black wires and -red wires.
If this is true, you need to redo your wiring. Pronto.
Black should only be for ground (-) and red should only be used for positive (+), this way there will be no confusion when you have future electrical problems.

It is not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when'.
I completely agree. Looks like I have a good spring project ahead lol