A/C Relay

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2023, 07:30 PM

A/C Relay

Does anyone know of a source for the air conditioning clutch hold in relay that mounts on the passenger side inner fender? Mine is MIA. An old one that I could take apart and see if I can resurrect it? I've seen maybe 1 or 2 that people want 2 arms and 3 legs for so they must be made of unobtanium. Has anyone tried to re-engineer the circuit using a traditional Bosch relay?
Old April 26th, 2023, 08:42 PM

If you’re not going full-original, I would do a circuit like the ‘71- later cars with a relay that actually turns off when the AC is turned off.

I had a 70 Supreme in school and hated that hold in relay. I eventually installed a toggle switch so I could disengage the compressor without having to turn the ignition off.
Old April 27th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Gary

Kevin, the people on CO who sell old parts will certainly have these for the cost of less than a fraction of an arm. Try 2blu442.

If you want to defeat the hold-in aspect of the relay, look inside for the wire that bypasses the contacts. If you cut that wire, it will work like a traditional Bosch relay.

Gary
Old April 27th, 2023, 07:29 PM

Unbelievable!! That's all I can say. I was talking to my neighbor and told him I was looking for the relay. I thought we were just making small talk. I never even knew he was into cars. He says 'Hmm, I have some things.' I was expecting 3 or 4 things. And figured they'd be nothing related to cars. He tells me to follow him. He goes up into his garage attic and comes down with a box. Like a 2' x 2' x 2' box. By the way he was carrying it it looked somewhat heavy. He set it down on his bench and said see if you see it in there. I still expected mostly junk. Holy cow was I surprised. He had a treasure trove of old electrical relays, switches and other electrical goodies from cars. After about 20 minutes of digging around in there I saw what looked like the right relay. Pulled it out and I'll be damned if it isn't the correct relay. There's no part number on it, but it sure looks like what I've seen on the internet and it lines up perfectly with the screw hole and the alignment hole on my fender. I was shocked. He smiled and said there you go. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he just scoffed. I am completely blown away. I told him he should sell that stuff. For what I've seen some things listed on the internet, he probably had $3000 worth of stuff there. He says 'I'm good' and that's it. Unreal!

Don't know what it's condition is yet, but this is one helluva good start. Here's to quiet old men and their stashes. 🍻

Last edited by 69oldsguy; April 27th, 2023 at 07:32 PM.