Bypassing the TCS Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Bypassing the TCS Solenoid

We've been having electric issues with our 442 persistently blowing fuses and tracked it down to the TCS Solenoid (when you disconnect the TCS Solenoid it stops blowing them). In the process of reading up about it - it sounds like it strictly is an emission control component that we don't need.

My questions: If we just leave the electric connection disconnected, do we need to adjust the connections with the vacuum hoses as well?

Is there some reason other than originality to replace it?

We have also replaced our points ignition with the Petronix Ignitor III and I have a suspicion that it may be effecting the performance of that as well.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Perhaps this should have been posted in the Electrical forum...
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM

I moved your thread to the Electrical forum. Could you post a pic of the part your asking about? I'm not sure why your TCS solenoid would be blowing fuses. Have you tried replacing it?
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Here's the part - That's what I'm asking about, from what I've read - it will adjust timing and since I've replaced the points with an electronic ignition, I think it might cause problems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TCS.jpg (53.6 KB, 250 views)
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:29 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Ray, the TCS is energized by a switch on the transmission when in first and second gear. It is designed to disable ported vacuum to the distributor advance unit when in first and second gears. It is not really needed and can be just unplugged. Operation can be checked by testing vacuum at the TVS (should be the same as at the carb port at idle).
To tidy things up you can remove all the hoses connected to the TCS (cap them off, including the carb fresh air port) and run your advance hose directly from your ported vacuum source to the TVS.
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Disconnect the TCS solenoid and bypass it with vacuum hose. In fact, I just bypass the TVS as well and run my vacuum advance directly from manifold vacuum.

This will likely start the traditional long debate on manifold vs. ported vacuum for advance.