Brake lights go out when I flip the turn signal on

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016 | 12:37 PM

Brake lights go out when I flip the turn signal on

I converted my 68 Cutlass from column shift to floor shift(ie steering col swap). Everything works lights-wise except when I apply the brakes, they work. But as soon as I flip the turn signal on, the brake lights quit working. I realize it is a grounding issue, but can’t seem to find where it is.
The ignition doesn’t have to be on for it to happen. If I hold the brake pedal w/the car not running, brakes on. Turn on the signal (either direction) brake lights go out.
Can anyone provide some direction?
Thanks,
Dave
Old June 25th, 2016 | 12:49 PM
Administrator

Check your signal flasher unit.
Old June 25th, 2016 | 12:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by c-towndave
I converted my 68 Cutlass from column shift to floor shift(ie steering col swap). Everything works lights-wise except when I apply the brakes, they work. But as soon as I flip the turn signal on, the brake lights quit working. I realize it is a grounding issue, but can’t seem to find where it is.
The ignition doesn’t have to be on for it to happen. If I hold the brake pedal w/the car not running, brakes on. Turn on the signal (either direction) brake lights go out.
Can anyone provide some direction?
Thanks,
Dave
Do BOTH brake lights go out when using the turn signal? Keep in mind that the turn signals and brake lights are exactly the same filaments in the bulb. Normally, the side that you've used the turn signal will go off and on, but the other side remains lit. If that is happening, it's normal. If both sides go off, it's the turn signal switch that has gone bad. The flasher module has zero affect on this problem.
Old June 25th, 2016 | 02:48 PM

Joe,
Good call on the TS switch. It appears that some of the components are worn.If you look at the picture on the left, if Iactuate the right TS the spring on the right overtravels the plastic holder tothe right of the spring and the left brake light is out. If I nudge the signal arm down a bit thespring lands where it is supposed to and the left brake light comes on. I’m surmising that what is happening is there are contactors that are overtraveled and missing the mark, until it is nudged back.

Thanks for the help. Saved me hours of head scratching.
So the next question: Is there a way to replace the switch w/o taking out the column and tearing it down? Last time I tried to disassemble/reassemble a column, I couldn’t get it back together.
Dave
Turn%20signal.jpg
Old June 25th, 2016 | 03:05 PM
Administrator

I've found if you push the pins out of the connector its easier to fish back down. Reinsert the pins in the proper position when your done. Sorry I assumed one brake light was going out. You may be able to use the switch from the other column.
Old June 26th, 2016 | 04:57 AM

I was able to separate the upper rotating assembly from another column and replace. It was just a matter of pulling the two "spring clips" on the right off, removing the TS lever screw, and then pulling it off.

Thanks to all for the help.

100_0744.jpg