Brake Indicator Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Brake Indicator Light Not Working

1970 Olds 442 brake indicator is not working when I press down the parking brake and/or first turn the ignition switch. I tested the bulb (even replaced it with a new one), bulb holder and fuse. They all passed the continuity test. I haven't had any recent work on the car. It was working before today. Any ideas or thoughts?
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nelsontj
1970 Olds 442 brake indicator is not working when I press down the parking brake and/or first turn the ignition switch. I tested the bulb (even replaced it with a new one), bulb holder and fuse. They all passed the continuity test. I haven't had any recent work on the car. It was working before today. Any ideas or thoughts?
With the key in the RUN position, temporarily remove the wire from the brake distribution block on the frame rail below the master cylinder and ground the wire. The light should come on. If not, and if you are certain the bulb is good, then you have a wiring problem. Either the pin on the printed circuit board on the back of the gauge pack is loose or the wire is broken in the harness.

If the light does come on when tested as above, then the problem is likely the switch on top of the e-brake pedal assembly.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Joe (or anyone else),

I found it is a loose connection at the harness to the gauge. I am having trouble getting the wire terminal out of the harness using a paper clip. Any tips, or help, would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nelsontj
Joe (or anyone else),

I found it is a loose connection at the harness to the gauge. I am having trouble getting the wire terminal out of the harness using a paper clip. Any tips, or help, would be greatly appreciated.
Sometimes inserting the paper clip will push the lock tang on the terminal into the connector housing, preventing it from coming out. Try pushing on the wire so you preload the terminal forward in the connector housing THEN while holding it there, insert the paper clip to depress the tang. That usually releases it for me.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Is it a small paperclip? That or a VERY thin nail will help release the wire. Big paperclips are too fat.
Look in the slot with a flashlight to make sure you are pushing in on the right tab. Whatever you do, do not pull on the wire and push on the nail / clip at the same time. Push nail in first, then pop out wire.
After it is out, bent out the little tab again to make sure the wire stays in.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks for your help Joe! You are an invaluable source of information on Oldsmobiles.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM

And you are too Rob. Thanks again everyone!
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Need help still! I tried paper clip, small nail and even jeweler's screwdrivers and I cannot get the wire out of the connector harness. Is the hole (left side as you are looking at the connector head-on) on the side of each terminal female hole where I stick the paper clip or nail to press down the locking tang? This is all completely new to me. I've never have done this operation. Thank you.
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Tritrinitoluene
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Rally pac wire rearranging

There would be a small hole (or slot) in the gauge-side of the connector.
Push wire upwards and hold, insert suitable tool (big paper clip or jeweler's screwdriver) into the small hole from the connector top side and push it in firmly (usually you can feel it 'pop' a little), and pull wire out from the bottom. When the wire comes out, use a small sccrewdriver to re bend the tang that was pushed in during removal. This will ensure wire will lock in again when reinserted.

Here is a demo of wire removal: (disregard my post-it-note cheatsheet)...

Below is how the connector should look (for rally gauges) when done. (Tape or heat shrink the black ground wire, as it is not needed now.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6351.jpg (62.9 KB, 3949 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6354.jpg (57.9 KB, 4084 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add pics and demo
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Rob,
One of our fleet mechanics, from where I work, loaned me some terminal picks today. One was just the right size and it worked like a charm. It is a good example of "the right tool for the job" kind of thing. All that is left is putting in the new sending units. There is an issue of the oil and temp needles pegging when the ignition is first turned on, but I think that issue was addressed in one of the recent issues of OCA's JWO. If you know the fix, let me know. Thanks again for your postings.
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:53 AM

So why the replacement of the sending units? Are you changing to a Rally Pac? I thought this was just for a brake warning light issue, but I could have missed something...

If changing to gauges, replacing the sending units will be required. There will be one small green wire to disconnect from the ignition switch to disable the temp light bulb test feature to prevent pegging of the temp gauge when cranking the engine.

Right tool for the right job is right! I have one odd-sized skinny long nail i set aside just for terminal releasing!
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I guess I did confuse everyone. What started with the brake indicator light problem turned into changing the warning light gauges to a rallye pac gauge unit I had sitting around. I figured since I had everything apart I may as well install the gauge system. The temperature gauge "pegging" has me curious. I have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster station wagon and a 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, which both have temperature gauges that "peg." I have never had any problems with the needles on the gauges and they have been started many, many more times than my 1970 Oldsmobile 442 has. Why would the needle on the latter be any more sensitive than the needles on the former?