Blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Blinker problem

So my rear passenger blinker will not work. When I turn on the turn signal level the dash light for the signal stays a solid green. I thought that means a bulb is out. So I replaced all the bulbs in the rear. The front ones light up. Yet the blinker still will not work. All the fuses seem to be fine. The light will not even work when the brake is applied yet it will come on when the headlights are turned on. Any ideas to a fix?
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You might have put in the wrong bulb. It needs to be an 1157 which has 2 filaments. You might have put an 1156 in (only one filament) Check that first.
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM

I checked that package. The bulbs I bought are the 1157 bulbs. No worries there.
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Try these things:

1. Check the signals on the left side. Do they work or are they a solid light too?

2. If I read your post right you say that the front right signal light goes on and stays on? That would indicate a problem at the rear.

3. Check your 4 way flashers - this car has 2 sets of flashers - one on the fusebox (4way) and the other is up under the dash (signals). You might have a defective flasher (relay) that's causing your problem.

4. If the right rear signal/brake light still does not work, check the wiring in the trunk for a corroded connection to the lights, or a bad ground.
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM

1. Check the signals on the left side. Do they work or are they a solid light too?
Everything on the left side works just as it should. No problems at all with the left side.

2. If I read your post right you say that the front right signal light goes on and stays on? That would indicate a problem at the rear.
That is correct, the problem is with the rear lights on the right (passenger) side of the car.

3. Check your 4 way flashers - this car has 2 sets of flashers - one on the fusebox (4way) and the other is up under the dash (signals). You might have a defective flasher (relay) that's causing your problem.
When my 4 way flashers (hazard lights) are on the rear light will not work at all. It only lights up when the headlights are turned on. As for the one under the dash where exactly is it located?

4. If the right rear signal/brake light still does not work, check the wiring in the trunk for a corroded connection to the lights, or a bad ground.
Where do I look for the ground?
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well if your other lights are working ok, I don't think this is a ground. The ground for that system is attached to the trunk latch on the side.

There should be a connector coming up through the trunk with 2 green and 2 brown wires. It will plug into a trunk harness. Check that connection to see if the right side has corrosion on the contacts. If you have some electrical contact cleaner (NOT carb cleaner) spray it and clean up anything that looks like corrosion.

Have you checked the socket in the tail light? Any corrosion in there can also keep the bulb from working.
Make sure both of those contacts are clean. GM uses dialectric grease in there to prevent corrosion on new cars.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM

OK I checked the harness in the trunk that runs the rear light. No sign of corrosion. I also checked the bulbs. No corrosion there either. Funny thing about all this was the lights were working 2 days ago.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Play around with the turn signal and hazard flasher button, sometimes the contacts in the turn signal switch get corroded or dirty and can affect the tail light functions. If the lights work correctly after that you need a turn signal switch.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Turn signal switch? So I need to take the whole steering column apart? No thanks, LOL. I'll let a mechanic do that. What about that relay under the dash? Where do I find that?

Last edited by kona0197; June 29th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

kona - what year/model car are you having trouble with? I've been going on the assumption it's a 70's Cutlass
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM

1990 Cutlass Ciera. Thanks!
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Out of curiosity how do I install a new turn signal switch? I don't see any screws I can remove on the steering column.

By the way thanks for help for everyone!
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have to go to the wrecker tomorrow and play. So I'll look for a Ciera to goof around on. If memory serves, you have to remove the steering wheel, and the column mounted highbeam/turn stalk from the pod to get the switch out. That means you need a steering wheel puller, and some assorted screwdrivers and pliers. Don't know if you need any special tools to get the switch out. Do you have a CSM for the 90 model year?
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM

I don't have any kind of book for this car. Guess I'll ned to track down a steering wheel puller.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kona0197
I don't have any kind of book for this car. Guess I'll ned to track down a steering wheel puller.
If you have Autozone nearby most of them have tool loaner programs. You cover the cost of the tool by credit card (sort of like when you do an imprint at a hotel). When you return the tool, they debit the full amount back to your card.

BTW you don't need the puller to reinstall - just for removal of the wheel. On newer cars, make SURE you disconnect the battery (air bag deployment) and wait about 10 minutes. Also when you're removing the wheel make sure you index the clock spring so it goes back in exactly the same place. Take a photo before hand so you have references as you tear down.
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM

It will be while before I get around to repairing the car so no worries. I'm out of work right now. As for the air bag issue, this car does not have any air bags. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by kona0197; June 30th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well that certainly makes it easier to deal with! Clock springs are a pain.
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM

By the way on another related issue what should I look into if the radiator fan is making strange noises? After I shut the engine off the fan keep spinning and it shoulds like the fan clutch is going out. Just needs replaced or how about a shot of grease?
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

By the way on another related issue what should I look into if the radiator fan is making strange noises? After I shut the engine off the fan keep spinning and it shoulds like the fan clutch is going out. Just needs replaced or how about a shot of grease?
The Ciera should have a coolant sensor controlled fan. It's not uncommon for them to continue running a short amount of time after the car has shut down. Especially if you have been using the A/C or it's been running hard. IIRC on your car if the coolant temp is above 220 or so, the cooling sensor will close a relay that operates the fan even if the car is shut off. The relay will keep the fan running till the coolant temp at the sensor reaches normal (around 195). That's why there's that warning sticker on the rad shroud area that says to keep your hands away.....

If you have not changed your coolant, you should test it with a hydrometer to see whether it needs changing. A coolant flush is normal about every 3 or 4 years - it also helps keep the cooling fins in the rad/ and the heater box from getting all calcified with deposits. If you do change the coolant, GM recommends you also add 6 pellets of 'cooling system seal tabs' GM part number 10953473 to your mix. It's basically to plug any leaks that the aluminum blocks are notorious for developing.

Is that what you're describing? A 90 Ciera should not have a fan clutch BTW. It's just an electric motor hooked to the fan. Should have a plug to the motor coming from part of the engine harness
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM

When I shut the car off the fan continues to run but it sounds like metal scraping metal. It's a horrible noise. The car never overheats. Just this weird noise from the fan.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

One of 2 things:
1. The fan has a small pebble wedged in there.
2. The bearings in the fan motor are shot.

Either way, you're going to have to unplug it, undo the mounting bolts and pull it out for better look see. I'd bet its the motor bearings. Having said that, I had exactly the same thing happen to my car and it was that darned pebble....
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Well I'm not allowed to do any under the hood work where I live. Question is if it's the bearings how much longer till it quits on me?
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No idea. Could be 2 minutes, could be 2 months. I'm not there to diagnose it better. When the car is cooled down, disconnect the plug and then wiggle the fan front to back and see if there's a lot of play. If there is, your fan is on borrowed time.

Why aren't you allowed to do any under hood work? Is this something to do with a condo parking garage or something? If it is - go do it on the street. No one can stop you there unless you're creating a safety issue. And I highly doubt you would be, especially if there are other cars parked there.
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well I'm not allowed to do any under the hood work where I live.
Then why do you live there?

And do you live in America or some other country?
I don't think I've heard of anything so un-American (and I'll include all of North, Central and South America here) in my life.

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, I had the problem of no blinkers working. It turned out that my bottom rear light was missing and the ground wire to my front passenger inside (orange) light was not even connected.

Now all blinkers and hazards are working plus my winshield wipers started working all after this. I even discovered I have a trunk light. (That was blown too. lol)

Thanks again
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well I'm not allowed to do any under the hood work where I live. Question is if it's the bearings how much longer till it quits on me?
So, any updates to let us know what happened?