battery drain from courtesy lamp circuit

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM

battery drain from courtesy lamp circuit

I have a 1968 Cutlass Supreme that seems to have a draw on the battery. By process of elimination, pulling one fuse at a time, the draw goes away when I pull the courtesy/clock fuse ( I checked it with the doors closed). The dome lamp operation seems to work fine. When doors are closed they go off like they are supposed to. The headlight switch seems to turn them on and off as usual. I thought maybe the truck light, but I pulled that bulb and the draw was still there. Anyone have any suggestions as to where else I can look? The car does not have a clock. Stumped!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ctrain22
I have a 1968 Cutlass Supreme that seems to have a draw on the battery. By process of elimination, pulling one fuse at a time, the draw goes away when I pull the courtesy/clock fuse ( I checked it with the doors closed). The dome lamp operation seems to work fine. When doors are closed they go off like they are supposed to. The headlight switch seems to turn them on and off as usual. I thought maybe the truck light, but I pulled that bulb and the draw was still there. Anyone have any suggestions as to where else I can look? The car does not have a clock. Stumped!
Well, check the wiring diagram in the CSM to see everything that hangs off that fuse. The CTSY/CLOCK fuse powers the clock (there's a pigtail under the dash that could be shorting whether you have a clock or not), trunk light, dome light, courtesy lights, map light, glove box light, and cigar lighter. Check each of these circuits one at a time. My money is on a resistive short in the lighter, but it could be any of them. Again, there are pigtails in the harness whether you have these items or not.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:17 PM

I actually pulled the wire to the lighter off. Thought that was it. Also thought it might be the trunk light, so I disconnected the wire to that also.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM

Any aftermarket electronic stuff installed or stuffed under the dash without your knowledge?
Do you have a glove box light? If so is it off?
Do you have an amperage number that you are seeing?