Battery cable issue

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Battery cable issue

I'm looking to run new battery cables and need advice before I attempt it.

The last time I put battery cables on an Olds ('74 Omega w/350) the positive cable at the starter kept touching everything in the area and eventually the other end welded itself to the battery terminal. Then the nut came loose at the starter and when I tightened it the solenoid broke into 3 or 4 pieces. The original cable had a small round terminal with a tooth to help keep it aligned and locked into place, whereas the replacement cables that I find just have a 6 foot long metal clamp that touches everything in sight.

If anyone can guide me so that I can figure out how to do this the right way I'd appreciate it. The car I'm working on this time has a 307 incase that makes a difference.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Everytime I work on battery cables I start with removing the negative cable first. Not trying to be a smartass.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Removing the cables isn't the problem. Try putting in generic autozone battery cables and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to clearance at the starter.

I may just start making my own to save the headache.
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Oldsdruid

If you can't get a genuine Delco Packard cable, I expect CarQuest or NAPA will have a better fitting cable than AutoZone.
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If you can't get a genuine Delco Packard cable, I expect CarQuest or NAPA will have a better fitting cable than AutoZone.
After last time I'm sure anyone has a better cable then they do. I'm still thinking of just making my own up once I get my handles on a crimper tool that can handle large guage wiring.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:23 AM

It's cheaper to buy the cables than buying a good quality crimper...and X2 on disconnecting the battery...
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:49 AM

I just installed my engine last month, new cables.
I had no issues at all.
I bought a 60" (I think) positive cable from Advanced Auto Parts. It's a 350 in a 74 Omega with headers, it does not hit anything....
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM

to crimp a end on a cable choose a open wench that will fit snug around the connector where the cable goes in,put wench firmly in a vice with open end up,put cable in connector and put connector in wench,take a punch 1/4 or 3/8 depending on cable size,drive punch into connector between jaws of wench, the wench will stop the connector from flatting out,if you hit it hard enough you may punch a hole in connector which makes it easy to solder connection although I never use solder.put heat shrink on connection.Works great you could proberly tow your car with it.no expensive tools required. Use a punch that is about 1/2 as big as the connector.the wench will proberly be stuck on connector just loosen the vice and tap the wench off.good luck!

Last edited by greenslade; August 12th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM

That's great advice Green. I wasn't sure where you were going with it when you talked about putting a wrench in a vice, but that's a great idea.