Bad fuel pump connection or fuel tank issue?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Bad fuel pump connection or fuel tank issue?

Hi all,

I need input on narrowing down where this issue is. I have minimal wrenching experience and trying to learn as I go so please be patient with me.

I was taking my 64 out for a drive from the underground garage and it stalled on it's way out. Engine would crank but not start. Called roadside for assistance and the mechanic helped me narrow it down either debris clogging the fuel tank or a bad electrical connection to the fuel pump. We managed to roll it back to it's parking spot and I let it sit for a week.

I looked at it today and I traced the power from the fuel pump, which was spliced with the alternator, back to the fuse box. I noticed there was a little bit of fuel in the fuel filter and tried to start the car which it did successfully. As I let it run, I noticed that the fuel in the filter gradually got less and less, which makes me wonder if it is in fact an electrical issue at all.

I've attached photos to better illustrate what I'm talking about, I hope they help.

So here I am at a cross roads as to where is problem lies. If the experts can chime in on where to start I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old May 27th, 2019, 07:53 AM

First off have you tested your electric fuel pump to see if it is in fact working? Usually you can hear it rattle some when you turn the key on. If not start there. Clean your filters, all of them. Check with a multi meter and see if you have juice when you don't have gas. Will the car start if you pour a little gas down the carb? A small amount of visible fuel is common in those type of fuel clear glass filters. By the way those filters have been known to leak and start fires (not my favorite). You can always use compressed air and blow backwards through the gas line and dislodge what ever might have plugged the line from the tank. This is not a fix but will point to where your problem might lie. Start there if you still have no fuel to the carb let us know..... Tedd
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Another thought is to move your fuel filter to between the pump and the carb. That might be an easy thing to do and see if that fixes the problem.
John
Old June 1st, 2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I managed to do some troubleshooting today with a friend. We did the following:

- Turned the acc. on and could hear and feel the pump working with an audible click
- Disconnected the fuel line from the carb and flipped the ignition on, could see fuel being pumped out at what seem to be a good rate
- Checked the small little metal cylindrical filter at the end of the fuel line on the carb end and appears to be clean, not clogged.
- Didn't have compressed air available but blew air (from mouth) into the gas line through the fuel filter and air seemed to pass, not sure if that's indicative of anything
- Started the car and started fine, kept an eye on the fuel filter for any activity. Fuel seemed to be passing through into the filter for several seconds then stopped.

- Didn't moved the filter to between the carb and pump as suggested, forgot.
- Wanted to removed the fuel filter completely to see of that would make any difference but didn't have any extra hose to patch

Sidenote - For some reason I can turn the ignition far left to turn on the acc. and take the key out (not sure if that's suppose to be case), which I did once and completely drained the battery since with the acc. on activates the pump. So essentially the pump was running til the battery died. I didn't put 2 + 2 together til today; could the pump, though functioning still, be not generating enough pressure to push/sull gas through because it's lifespan was compromised due to it being left on til the batter died?

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but can pick one up at HF if it'll help troubleshoot this further. Any suggestions going forward? Thanks again for the help.
Old June 1st, 2019, 08:08 PM
Administrator

I think you need to rethink your fuel pump wiring so it only runs when the key is in the on position or follow the instructions in the link below to Joe P's post for wiring through a new oil pressure sender. I would also check the fuel lines at the tank to make sure they aren't cracked and leaking. causing the pump to suck air. I doubt you damaged the pump.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-time-129678/
Old June 3rd, 2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think you need to rethink your fuel pump wiring so it only runs when the key is in the on position or follow the instructions in the link below to Joe P's post for wiring through a new oil pressure sender. I would also check the fuel lines at the tank to make sure they aren't cracked and leaking. causing the pump to suck air. I doubt you damaged the pump.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-time-129678/
Thanks. If the visual inspection of the fuel lines looks good, is there another way of testing for an ait leak?