Another fuse panel question

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Another fuse panel question

Spent a solid 20 minutes out in the garage trying to track down here and in books what this wire (gray, right in front of 2nd pic) goes to.

best I could find is "maybe" power window relays or something like that, but I'm not sure. For what it's worth, I currently do not have power windows (or locks for that matter) but I also do not have the original interior.
Old June 13th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Running On Empty

What model/year car? There is a gray wire which runs to the rear view mirror lighted lamp. I have no idea if that's the case in your situation.
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:12 AM

69 442
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

On my 1971 CS convertible the gray wire routes from the rear view mirror lamp assembly across the windshield top sill (behind the dress molding), then down the driver's side windshield post into the fuse panel & IIRC I have the same type plug on my gray wire. Do you have a lighted rear view mirror or did the car at one time have a lighted rear view mirror?
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:23 AM

X2, I agree with Norm, best guess is mirror wire
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Running On Empty

Additionally, I believe (look at your wiring diagram) a gray wire feeds your instrument lamps, ash tray & clock lamps. There is one spliced branch point along the gray wire before it runs into the instrument cluster connector. It should be highlighted in the wiring diagram.
Old June 13th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Trace the gray wire.

1971 Original GM Oldsmobile CSM Wiring Diagram A Body "V-8"
1968 A body wiring diagram
Old June 13th, 2021, 12:40 PM

I'll double check, but I didn't see anything obvious that looked like it was unplugged. I'm not sure if it did or even does have a lighted mirror. Didn't even know that was a thing.

Also, am I putting too much emphasis on the wire location in the fuse box?
Old June 13th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by brotherGood
Also, am I putting too much emphasis on the wire location in the fuse box?
What do you mean? I'm not following.
Old June 13th, 2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
What do you mean? I'm not following.
Well, I guess I'm not fully grasping the purpose of the center stack in the fuse box. To me, it seems like an add on.. so my next question is what has been added on. I know its not hurting anything being plugged into the box, but Id like to know why it's there.

I checked the mirror, and on the bottom right there is evidence that something is missing. No switches or anything like that, just a void.
Old June 13th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty

This image (below) is a representative image of a 1968 lighted rear-view mirror. Note the location of the light - which you are most likely missing. Note also the color of the wire and the plug on the wire.

Regarding the center "stack" as you're calling it. I have no clue what that red plug is for - trace it to find out. Do you own a 1968 CSM?

Old June 13th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This image (below) is a representative image of a 1968 lighted rear-view mirror. Note the location of the light - which you are most likely missing. Note also the color of the wire and the plug on the wire.

Regarding the center "stack" as you're calling it. I have no clue what that red plug is for - trace it to find out. Do you own a 1968 CSM?

I have a 69 CSM, but was unable to find it (granted, I was looking more for a colored schematic) but I will look into it again. I agree, based on the image versus what I have..it does look the same.

I'd been thinking of getting a new mirror anyway, might as well snag one of those if I have the wiring for it already.

Thanks.
Old June 13th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Running On Empty

Sorry, I did mean to state a 1969 CSM. I was reviewing some pictures from another thread topic regarding a 1968 442. You can get aftermarket mirrors of decent enough quality. The glass on my original was very weathered and I installed a new lighted mirror on my 1971 CS convertible - works like a charm.
Old June 13th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

Regarding that fuse box center stack as you called it. I would suspect it's most likely an aftermarket product or some such non-OEM device i.e. stereo/radio, sub-woofer, replacement part, car alarm, whatever. As I said, trace the wire(s). One quick way might be to start the car, turn EVERYTHING on in the car, stereo, lights, etc and then unplug that red plug - I'll bet something turns off.
Old June 13th, 2021, 03:38 PM

Well, it's not hooked to anything, but I do have a couple things that don't seem to work.

Im planning on going through the dash next and checking everything to make sure mice didn't get into any wiring. I am going to replace all fuses first off, as well as all bulbs (have already done a preliminary check with turning the key on and noting what did and didn't work)

The only reason this was even brought to my attention is the fact that we were getting up under the dash to pull the booster (Mopars I've worked on are bolted through the FW, opposite of this) so I figured I'd pose the question while it was fresh.
Old June 13th, 2021, 04:10 PM
Oldsdruid

Your CSM color wiring diagram shows those center cavities' power source. Either switched (IGN or ACC) or constant (BAT).

You'll notice they were shaped so only one factory accessory plug would fit into them.
Old June 13th, 2021, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

Ah...center stack. Now I'm following (after reading what rocketraider stated)...you mean the center stack as in the moving from bottom to top of the center of the fuse box (like a stack). Didn't think of it that way. Doh me!
Yeah, so as rocket pointed out, that red plug is in the ACC switched position - whatever it's connected to or not connected to.
Old June 13th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Oldsdruid

A cavity labeled BAT is hot all the time.
IGN is hot in ignition switch RUN position.
ACC is hot in ignition switch RUN and ACC positions.

Some older GM fuse boxes have a "LAMPS" cavity tied into the running lights for backup lamps, fog lamps, spotlights etc. Yes, there was a time when backup lamps were an extra-cost option.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 13th, 2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old June 13th, 2021, 06:39 PM

Look in the manual in the accessories section, it will show where all the factory accessories plug into which fuse box cavity.
Old June 14th, 2021, 03:59 AM

My 66 Cutlass gray wire is the ash tray light. The ash tray light only operates when headlight switch is operating, parking or head lights.

Wayne
Old June 14th, 2021, 07:56 AM
Oldsdruid

A gray wire in the dash area is almost always for dash or accessory lighting on GM vehicles of that era.

I think it's the mirror map lamp lead too. An easy way to tell is pull the driver side interior A-pillar trim off. I'd bet you'd find a gray wire behind there. Tug on it and see if the gray wire at the fuse panel moves. Probably a gray wire peeking out at the inside mirror mount too.

If I remember right the map lamp plugs into an ACC or IGN cavity so it only works with ignition switch. If it were plugged into the BAT cavity it could easily kill a battery.

If yer map lamp is missing, well, you're on yer own finding one without replacing the whole mirror assembly and wire harness!

Last edited by rocketraider; June 14th, 2021 at 08:01 AM.