Am/Fm Stereo Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM

Am/Fm Stereo Radio Problems

The original radio in my '71 442 works sometimes but most times not. It comes on but then goes off. It likely has never been serviced. Can such a radio be rebuilt? If so, who is the best folks for doing so. the radio sounds great when it does play. i want to keep the original look. thanks,
Mike
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I'd start with just pulling it out and having a go at the connectors with contact cleaner and making sure the plugs fit straight and all terminals make good connection. Cost ya $5 and a couple of hours.
That fixed 1/2 of my AM/FM problems. (Rear amp bad)

C.J.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Past Administrator

There are people who rebuild these old radios, I think I saw an auction on ebay but not sure. There are some that even modify the radio so you can plug an mp3 into the back and use the radio's audio amp and speakers. If you don't want to go aftermarket products you are pretty limited to getting that thing tuned up/repaired. Maybe someone like these guys.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Smile Crank it up

There are quite a few people that rebuild radios, just a matter of finding one that is local to you...maybe even check the YELLOW pages.. I don't know if you want to ship your unit to the frozen north, but if you do I will give you a couple of names..
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM

If you have a local trustworthy buddy who is handy with a soldering iron, give him the radio to take a quick look inside for broken / cold solder joints. I have found lots of faults like this in mobile electronics, due to temperature fluxctuations and vibration.
I might not have him dig too deep (depending on his skill), but just do a once over before sending it out.

How many speakers are hooked to it? I have known speakers to get intermittant opens.
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:54 AM

The radio has two speaker connected to it. The front evidently doesn't work. The back speaker was a "Realistic' (Radio Shack) brand. these speakers are suppose to be 10ohm speakers. There is no telling if this one was 10 or 4. I talked with Greg at S & M Radio (MN) and I am going to pull it and send to him. I have bought some correct speakers from him before and he says they do many rebuilds on these old radios ($130-$160) I will get the correct speakers at the same time. After almost 40 years I am sure this radio could use a freshening up.
I did find out that these Olds stereo radios came with just 2 speakers-not 4 as with a similar Chevy.
Thanks for the advice.
Mike