Altenator bracket

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Altenator bracket

Hey there, I am not sure if this would be the correct place to put this thread. Without it I would have to power going thru the veh.

I have a 1955 oldsmobile 88 with a 394 ci from a 61 and have alt bracket from a 63 that bolted right up. The problem that I am having is that the bracket for the altenator does not line up the alt correctly and belt comes out crook it. Not only that, if any one is familiar with that bracket it is a big hunk of metal. Would like to clean it up some.

Does anyone know if anybody make alt brakets for the alt, or if another veh has a much simplar bracket that will fit this engine?
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

OK, You can shave/ shim the bracket at the base and the alternator mount points until it looks like Godzilla's *******, and it will work.

Or (better) fab a custom bracket.

Years ago (when times were tough) I cut one in half horizontally, mounted it at the bottom, bolted a dog chain to the top, then bolted the other end of the chain to the firewall and adjusted the pitch of the alternator by tightening/loosening the firewall bolt. It worked for years.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Are you using a universal aftermarket alternator? Exactly what bracket are you talking about? Is it the bracket that holds the alternator in place or is it the 'arm' where you can adjust the tension? If it is the lower bracket that holds the alternator in place, maybe you can enlarge the bolt holes to be oblong so you can slide the alternator back or fourth so the belts line up. If your looking for a newer bracket, I have used just a universal chevy alternator mount with a universal 1 wire alternator. Some easy fabrication was needed
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cisco88
Does anyone know if anybody make alt brakets for the alt, or if another veh has a much simplar bracket that will fit this engine?
Hi there. I bought a "universal alternator bracket" from ebay for my 394. He is selling more of them - item number 250249790380. It's $20. Not the best looking thing in the world, but it is designed for generator replacements. Works for me.

-justinj