Accessory circuit breaker on 1969 442

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:56 AM

Accessory circuit breaker on 1969 442

I have decide to replace my convertible top switch on my 69 442.
The main power wire routes through firewall to a circuit breaker on engine side below the brake booster.
It is an orange wire. There is also another orange wire on the same circuit breaker post, which goes back through firewall, into the interior, but seems to go nowhere, terminating at about 12 inches with a plug on the end.
There does not look like any plug that will attach, in the vicinity of where the end terminates?

Anybody know what this wire should go to?

My car has power bucket seat and power windows.
I presume it would go to an accessory that is not ignition related??
Looking at the wiring diagram in service manual or assembly manual does help.
Thought maybe someone here could assist.
Thanks,
Mike
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:34 AM

One orange wire feeds the seat and the other should go to the power relay inside the left door jamb which controls the window switches and antenna. The top switch should have its own orange wire too or it branches off one of the two orange wires. Check for a mating plug in the same vicinity as the end of the blank wire. Possibly for your top switch.
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
One orange wire feeds the seat and the other should go to the power relay inside the left door jamb which controls the window switches and antenna. The top switch should have its own orange wire too or it branches off one of the two orange wires. Check for a mating plug in the same vicinity as the end of the blank wire. Possibly for your top switch.
Thanks.
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Thanks for the reply.
When I traced the original convertible top switch, it terminated at the circuit breaker post in engine compartment. It did not have plug on the Orange tip. So I'm pretty sure that part is correct.

Manual shows the power feed to the power seat and power top are not controlled by ignition switch. So I am assuming the wire somehow connects to the power seat. I will need to investigate further.
There is a "T" connector with orange wires. One in on one side, and it looks like three coming out the other side, with the middle vacant. the main orange wire coming in one side terminates at the fuse block plugging in the front ACC.
The two other wires I need to trace, but I'm pretty sure one would be for the windows??
I will look closer.
I wonder if it would help on this forum if I posted a picture of the mystery wire.
(Attached)
But when I look real close the mystery wire does not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (51.9 KB, 39 views)
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by miko442
Thanks for the reply.
When I traced the original convertible top switch, it terminated at the circuit breaker post in engine compartment. It did not have plug on the Orange tip. So I'm pretty sure that part is correct.

Manual shows the power feed to the power seat and power top are not controlled by ignition switch. So I am assuming the wire somehow connects to the power seat. I will need to investigate further.
There is a "T" connector with orange wires. One in on one side, and it looks like three coming out the other side, with the middle vacant. the main orange wire coming in one side terminates at the fuse block plugging in the front ACC.
The two other wires I need to trace, but I'm pretty sure one would be for the windows??
I will look closer.
I wonder if it would help on this forum if I posted a picture of the mystery wire.
(Attached)
But when I look real close the mystery wire does not
Better picture.
This wire and the original power top wire were the two wires attached to the circuit breaker.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (42.8 KB, 44 views)