94 Olds 98 Regency

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:38 PM

94 Olds 98 Regency

Starter will not even click. Battery removed and checked good. All lights etc work fine.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Lansing built

Have you bench test the starter itself? Also to elimnate bad engine, have you bared the engine over? i.e. used a stought screw driver or smaller pry bar to manually turn the engine.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 20th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Have you bench test the starter itself? Also to elimnate bad engine, have you bared the engine over? i.e. used a stought screw driver or smaller pry bar to manually turn the engine.

Pat
Engine turns over fine. Before I started swapping parts such as the starter I thought I would see if any thing else could cause this. The car cranked and ran fine parked it in the garage and the next morning nothing not
even a click out of the starter.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Check for power on the purple wire (at the starter) when cranking. If there is no power you have a neutral safety switch issue. If there is power, lightly tap on the starter with a small hammer, then try to crank it. If it cranks then, the solenoid is junk and needs replaced.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks will try it.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Check for power on the purple wire (at the starter) when cranking. If there is no power you have a neutral safety switch issue. If there is power, lightly tap on the starter with a small hammer, then try to crank it. If it cranks then, the solenoid is junk and needs replaced.
x2 sounds like a bad spot on the starter.

Also, make absolutely sure all battery cables and connections are clean and tight. Too much resistance could be choking off the starter.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Apply the brakes, put it in neutral, with the brakes applied see if it will crank. If it is jacked up chock the wheels first so it will not roll. If it does crank there is a problem with the neutral safety switch.

Last edited by Sugar Bear; January 20th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:47 AM
Lansing built

Do you have voltage at the start leed on the starter?
Have done the bench test?
Check for loose or corroded cables wires like other have suggested.

If non of those pan out, take a look at this!
http://www.justanswer.com/car/1it5y-...h-battery.html

Pat
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:11 AM

Check the battery itself, too. I had something similar happen to me with a '90 Ford Taurus I once owned. We were out for the day with the family, and when we went back to the car to start it up and go home, nothing. All lights worked, radio, etc., but turning the key gave nothing. Not even a click.

Had it towed to a gas station, they checked the battery, and it turned out to have a dead cell. So the voltage was enough to power the lights and radio but not enough to close the relay and start the engine. We had no indication before the problem occurred that there was a problem with the battery, and we didn't initially suspect it. We had them put in a new one, and we were on our way.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:22 PM

Cables etc, looked good and I am getting power to the starter. Have not benched test starter to date. I did try to start the car in neutral did not work. I did tap on the starter with a hammer. I also did try another battery. It acts like the car is not in park or neutral when trying to start.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM

Where on the starter was the power? Was it at the heavy battery cable lug or at the smaller gauge purple wire?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Where on the starter was the power? Was it at the heavy battery cable lug or at the smaller gauge purple wire?

Also, did you try jumping the starter connections with a screwdriver when you were under there? If it cranks, then the problem is likely elsewhere. It could be as simple as the neutral safety switch or starter switch (both on the column) being out of adjustment. If the engine cranks, I would next bypass the neutral safety switch with a piece of wire. If it cranks, you've found your culprit. If not, try testing the starter switch. you may need to drop the column. BE CAREFUL, you don't want the airbag to deploy.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

does this car have the resistance chip in the ignition key? if so try what henry k said and if it turns over it may be the wires in the column going from the resistance chip setup in the ignition. ( over time the wires break where the column tilts) i had a 92 bonneville ssei and that was exactly the problem. and it would not crank but jumping the starter terminals would crank it over but it would not start- this was years back and it was a few hundred parts and labor. never bothered me again afterwards. another possibility to check into anyway, hope it is helpful to you.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

correction- it would not crank with the key, but would by jumping the terminals with a screwdriver but still would not run even with the key in the on position while jumping the starter.