85 toronado wiper & cruise problem

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Unhappy 85 toronado wiper & cruise problem

Hi everyone.
First post here. 1985 Olds Toronado with 77,000 original miles. Problem is windshield wipers will not turn off without turning off the key. Dangerous when snowing! Sometimes even stay on after the key is turned off.
I would guess needs new switch but I've heard somethhing about bad circuit board on the motor. Help me God! I can't afford to buy both motor and switch. Cruise control also does not work..
Please, help me out! All the best to you all, Tim
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Wink 85 olds wipers

Yes there is a curicut board under the cover ,with a delay Module It will need to be re solderd in . But Go back to basics first tighten all 3 bolts mounting the MTR. disconecet single green wire from unit &try system .this one works off a ground .Cant go much farther without confussion, ON The Cruise Apply 12 V to terminals A&E with IGN ON servo will click ,check brake lights &TS as these will affect the cuise curicut.along with any vacume leaks
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
I recommend finding a shop to diagnose the problem. Do you have a local Vo-Tech school? They sometimes take in things such as this to train the "kids" on. You pay for the part, the kids do the labor as part of their education. This would actually be a good exercise for them.
Paul
I have a good friend that is a teacher at a Vo-tech and this is true. However, they usually have more cars than they can use so it might be difficult to get in and then it may take a while. Sometimes GM or Ford or some other manufacturer will donate a complete car for this use as they prefer to teach on newer models so the kids can concentrate on the money makers, i.e. newer than five years old.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM

Wink Wipers

Forgot 1 thing remove cover & disconect single wire on board & tape it out of the way this will give you control of wipers but eliminates Delay