84 toronado dash cluster

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010 | 02:51 PM

Question 84 toronado dash cluster

my first posting so i hope i am in the right spot. I inherited a 84 toro caliente with less than 75,000 miles and no rust. had been in storage for last 6 years. Grandpa left it there 6 years ago, mind you i am no spring chicken either, would like to keep car for next generation of heathens coming up. Had to jump start car and the digital dash and radio would not work. Sent it out to guy in W.Virginia with no luck but $. Anyone know why the dash went out? Where i can buy a new/used one or get this thing rebuilt? Chicago is a big town, i couldn't believe i couldn't find a replacement digital dash cluster or a place that could rebuild this thing. Otherwise the car is totally mint. Any advice?"
Old March 2nd, 2010 | 03:33 PM
Hangin' out...

Did you try just searching for "Digital dash repair" or "Instrument cluster repair" on google?
Old March 2nd, 2010 | 03:56 PM

84 toronado dash cluster

Sure did, also tried Bing and other search engine, ended up with a call list of about 12 places of which only one said they could repair this digital dash for this year, that was the guy out in west virginia. He could not repair it and had the dash cluster for 4 weeks. I did find one guy on e-bay last week that was parting out a 200,000 mile toro with the digital dash. However when he put a battery charge on the car and started it the digital dash went out. I was planning on buying this one. I checked the hemmings and called a couple of the cluster repair places that advertise in hemmings as well. i have also went to the junk yard search engine but keep ending up with one of those we want $ for a search. I have checked with 4 of the largest bone yards in the Chicago area with no luck. Also looked at several Eldo sites and this seemed to be a common problem with thier digital dash (if you jump, charge, change battery or radio with out pulling the IPC fuse you loose both the cluster and the radio on 84-85 Toro.) If anyone has any recommendations I am open to suggestions-thanks
Old March 2nd, 2010 | 05:06 PM

Nice score - welcome to the site!
I assumed you checked the speedometer repair sites as well as they often do gauges.
Is this the one withthe blue vacuum fluorecent numbers? If so, it is possible the DC-DC converter on it went out or worse yet, the filament heaters inside the glass display opened up. If the latter, keep your eyes open for a used cluster. The DC-DC converters can be replaced if you can find a place who does that and have the right parts. Is the odometer digital?

Is the radio integrated with the cluster? Sorry - i am not too familiar with this model...
Old March 2nd, 2010 | 06:29 PM

Yes it is the digital blue vacuum flourecent dash cluster. I am not sure if it was the DC-DC or if the filament heater. I will ask the guy in West Virginia as he is the dash repair guy who said he could not fix. I am on the look out for another new or used digital dash. I am also looking for an analog cluster as a back up. The radio is separate but some how tied togeather. This seems to be a mirror problem with the Eldo as well. I hate to give up on the car but it seems like pulling teeth to find one of these digital cluster. Thank you for helping out.
Old March 3rd, 2010 | 05:37 AM

Hopefully the guy you sent it to can tell you exactly why he can't fix it. Once you know specifically what is wrong with it then it should be easier to get repaired.