71' AM/FM stereo radio wiring question

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM

I have a stock AM/FM stereo radio with rear speaker. Does anyone have a color coding wiring diagram? The connector was cut off, and the wires were just spliced. But I can tell it is not wired correctly, it sounds best only when in the middle position (fader control). This unit has a factory amp that plugs into the radio. This connector is ok. Also what would be the wattage of the stock speakers?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:14 AM

I did not think the 71's had the separate amp unit. You may have a 70 radio??? Where is your wiring spliced? In the red oval or blue oval? It may help if you can post a picture of spliced wiring.

Don W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970 stereo radio.JPG (83.2 KB, 80 views)
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM

It was from a junk yard find many years ago so it's very possible it was from a 70' model. I have to pull the radio out when I get a chance, then I will take a picture. This diagram is very helpful though. Thank you for the reply. Jim
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimoldsfan
I have a stock AM/FM stereo radio with rear speaker. Does anyone have a color coding wiring diagram? The connector was cut off, and the wires were just spliced. But I can tell it is not wired correctly, it sounds best only when in the middle position (fader control). This unit has a factory amp that plugs into the radio. This connector is ok. Also what would be the wattage of the stock speakers?
the wattage of the stereo is 5 watts per channel,this based on the DS 501 output transistor.the speakers don't have a wattage input rating as far as I know.the speaker could be rated in the same range since they had to perform with the stock radio @10 ohms.by the way,if you run a stock radio w/o a speaker load it will free amplify and burn out the output transformer.The circuit shown in the next post down is so easy to sort out and correct that you should have no problem.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

What color is the wire for the power feed from the harness?
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Been a while since I've been on the forum, just saw this: I do believe as well you have a pre'71 unit if it has the separate rear multiplex adapter. OK, as far as connections go: On the adapter box, you will have, in addition to the multi-plug adapter, one single blue or brown wire. This is the positive to the rear speaker. The negative to the rear speaker grounds by a wire to the chassis of the vehicle. The front: You have three wires coming out of the radio connector, side by side, the yellow is power, the black is ground for the front speaker, and I believe it is a green in color for the positive side for the front speaker. Hope this helps out! Regards, Howie.