69 Delta 88 issues

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 07:23 PM

Unhappy 69 Delta 88 issues

First off, I am not a mechanic. I can do basic mechanical work but electrical work is beyond me. I was in my hometown last week where my Olds is parked. Seven years ago I had an engine rebuild and body work done only too have a pecan tree fall on the car. It has been sitting ever since. Home on leave and finally started out getting the car back on the road by changing spark plugs, rotor cap, distributor cap, oil and battery. Was able to start the car 5 or 6 times but then nothing. Replaced 10 gauge wire from positive post on battery to an electrical block (?) mounted on the drivers fender (in the past when car wouldn't start it was due to this wire) and changed voltage regulator mounted on firewall. Car still wouldn't start. When I turned the key I would hear a click and then it was dead. Then I replaced the Alternator (tested at auto store and it was bad) and the Starter. Ran out of time but plan to spend a few days back home soon. Besides replacing ignition coil what else should I be looking at? Thanks
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can't fix a car by just randomly replacing whatever parts you happen to spy that have wires coming out of them.

You need to troubleshoot your problem, and then fix the part that is bad.

While it is possible that your alternator was bad, it probably had nothing to do with this problem, and all of the other stuff definitely didn't need to be changed.

First question: Is your battery fully charged?

Next question: Did you clean the battery terminals and the cable clamps (inside the holes) until they shined?

Next question: Are the cable clamps corroded or dull where they attach to the wires (especially if you have cheap replacement clams installed)?

Next question: What is the voltage at the battery with everything turned off? While cranking? What is the voltage at the starter (+) terminal with everything turned off? While cranking?

Once we know these things, we can begin helping you.

Pictures are a great idea, too.

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:18 PM

My goal is to get the car back on the road, that was my reasoning for replacing the parts. Starter and alternator had been on the car since early 80's (and car has sat since 2006) so I replaced for preventive reasons.

Yes, battery was fully charged.
Yes, Battery cables were cleaned and clamps replaced.
I was traveling and did not have my volt meter. Car is 4 states away so I will post pictures when I travel back in the next few weeks.
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:29 PM

I've caught myself replacing parts thinking I knew exactly what it was. Yep. Have to re-learn that lesson every once in a while!

You said it clicked when you turned the key. So the engine didn't turn over, you just heard a click? A single click or multiple clicks?

Yes, give us more details when you can and we'll try to help you chase down the problem.

How bad is the damage from the tree falling on it? I'm glad you have time to work on it and hope your able to save the car. Do you have any pictures you could share with us?

So many of these cool old cars have gone to the crusher, I've sent a few of them there myself in the past. Now I think even rusted out rotten ones should be stripped of every usable part before being scrapped!

John
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A starter from the eighties is likely to be fine, and of better quality than a starter from today. We were just talking about that on another thread, in fact.

Regardless, if you are getting nothing but the solenoid clicking when you try to start, then you have several possibilities:

Inadequate current to the starter, which could be anything between the starter and the battery, including battery, clamps / terminals, and wire, or anything between the starter and ground, which could be dirt or paint between the starter and the engine, corrosion between the motor and the nose of the starter, a missing starter bracket, or a bad ground wire, or clamps / terminals.

Inadequate current to the solenoid, which could be anything in the current path from the battery through the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch, and the wiring to the starter, and which is often overlooked but can cause the solenoid to not pull in far enough to make the starter connection and turn the starter.

Internal damage / corrosion to the solenoid, bad contact disc or high-current contacts, or maybe something in the way of the plunger.

Internal damage to the starter, which could be electrical (break or short in a winding, bad brushes or commutator) or mechanical (something preventing the pinion gear from throwing out, which will also stop the plunger from moving).

In your case, considering what you've said, I would suspect a bad high-current cable, either positive or ground, including terminals, or low current to the solenoid.

You need to test these things, first getting voltage readings, including to the "S" terminal of the solenoid while cranking (not that easy to do), and then we can start figuring.

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

I'm going to suggest a few non technical things. Charge the battery, it's probably run down from trying to start it. If, with a charged battery you turn the key and get a click, lay under the car and whack the starter with a hammer while a partner in crime turns the key.

Starting a car that's been sitting for a while brings up some questions. Did you get rid of the old fuel, blow out the lines, etc before trying to start.

Make sure you have 12v at the coil when you are cranking and with the key on.

If you have spark and it just won't fire, starting fluid is your friend, spray it liberally in the carburetor and try again.
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I hope to work on the car this weekend and will post an update/pictures when I am there.
2blu442- The hood took the brunt of the damage. It would take a skilled metal-smith to fix it since it has rusted thru in about 5 quarter sized spots. It is hard to find a hood for that year and model. My goal is to get it road worthy and then drop it off at a body shop in Alabama that I believe will do the repair correctly. The car was purchased new by my grandfather in 69 and it was the first car I ever owned. My wife of 30 years and I dated in the car and it still has my high school parking sticker on the bumper. Not a valuable model Oldsmobile but I would not trade it for anything.
Thanks again.